Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile Cutter Now Leaving Jagged Edges in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

perky416

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys,
First time tiler here part way through tile my bathroom. I purchased a Sigma Series 3 Max tile cutter which at first made an amazing cut, it was almost perfect, however after about 20 cuts i am now getting jagged edges on my tiles and chips every so often. Unless a chip occurs the finished edge of the tile is pretty good, its the material that sits behind the finish that isnt clean and protrudes the cut edge by a couple of mm.
The tiles im using are the Kamber 600mm x 300mm, 9mm thick from Topps Tiles, they are porcelain with a polished gloss finish.

Is this normal?
Should I buy a new blade or just crack on with it? Im just concerned that it will affect the separation at the edges.

All help appreciated.

OP
P

perky416

No I didnt realise i had to. What would you recommend? Do you think i should i buy a new wheel and make sure i oil it?
Thanks.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Glass cutting oil had my wheel for 2 years still good. You can use a grinder to cut off the back of tile that protrudes.

OP
O

One Day

Polished gloss (glaze?) on porcelain?
They'll need a light score - one only.
Some types of these tiles are simply impossible to get a very clean cut on.
Experiment with different pressures and you'll find the best one.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

After you put the tile into cutter check you have the bar at the proper height as it does move slightly thru the day as you use. If it is set up correctly usually find it cuts sublime. I learnt by my mistakes.

Reaction score
After you put the tile into cutter check you have the bar at the proper height as it does move slightly thru the day as you use. If it is set up correctly usually find it cuts sublime. I learnt by my mistakes.
Hi. I bought a 3CMax 2 yrs ago as I wanted to do my own bathroom. That got delayed but today I had a go with some ceramic wall tiles and the cutter basically butchered the tile. Jagged edges all along the cut line. Very disappointed I am. Heard such good things about the tool.

Can someone tell me the correct way to put the wheel at the correct height.

Thanks all

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi. I bought a 3CMax 2 yrs ago as I wanted to do my own bathroom. That got delayed but today I had a go with some ceramic wall tiles and the cutter basically butchered the tile. Jagged edges all along the cut line. Very disappointed I am. Heard such good things about the tool.

Can someone tell me the correct way to put the wheel at the correct height.

Thanks all
There is an adjustment knob either end of the guide rail. Also don’t press on to hard when scribing, just a light scratch required

Reaction score
There is an adjustment knob either end of the guide rail. Also don’t press on to hard when scribing, just a light scratch required
Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. I was playing around with the adjustment wheels yesterday but not quite sure how to get the correct height. Is it supposed to just rest on top of the tile lightly? Thank you

Reply to Tile Cutter Now Leaving Jagged Edges in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock