Discuss Tile backer for wooden and concrete floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian Black

Hi there, my situation is this....
I want to lay quartz sparkle floor tiles onto part suspended timber uninsulated floor t&g boards, part uninsulated concrete. Can have maximum overall floor rise by about 30mm. Decision, what backer boards to use?

Is 6mm ok to use on old timber floor, with minimal deflection etc, or is it worth going 10/12 mm or even 2 layers 6mm?

Can you float the boards over the concrete area, adhesive with mechanical fixings. Or, board up to it and self level compound with a expansion/movement joint at the junction?

The use of full cement board (Knauf Aquapanel/Gypsum Glassroc H) or insulated board (Marmox/Orbry)

Any problems with Quartz tiles etc? (Wife likes the bling!!!) Recommend a supplier.

I know they are expensive tiles, so want to get it right.
Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers

F

Flintstone

I would treat each surface as separate, as in don’t bridge the gap with tiles or board. Use a board such as wedi, marmox, jackoboard, on both areas, glued on the solid floor, glued and screwed on the timber. Go as thick as you can. No benifit to using 2 layers of 6 as you are still tiling on 6mm. Better to go with one board 12mm

D

Dougs Third Go

quartz tiles don't like under floor heating, you hadn't mentioned if it was being installed or not, just thought I'd chuck it in there

Reply to Tile backer for wooden and concrete floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks