Discuss Three tiles have fell off, how do i refix them? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
desktop tiles.jpg

Sorry to revive this old thread.
I really hope someone can help.
The tiles were stuck on in March using Evo stick and have stayed well stuck but that is not my reason for writing.
I really hope someone can help as I am worried sick.
I am writing because I soaked the pink gypsum underneath the tiles with thin water based granfix primer before sticking the tiles on not giving the gypsum chance to dry.
I then scraped the primer off as I realised it was the wrong stuff, and also a layer of original grout with a knife, exposing the pink gypsum underneath, which got soaked, see pic above.
I had also soaked the old ceramic 70's tiles in water to get the old grout off the back, and if I am right, this material on the back of a ceramic tile is absorbent, meaning more wetness hidden between gypsum and the timber below, which I fear could be rotting away without me knowing.
To elaborate, the gypsum is directly onto 4 x 4 timber, and I am worried that dry rot could be forming between the wet gypsum that hasnt had chance to dry, and the surface of the timber that the wet gypsum touches, because
I am worried because there is timber underneath the pink gypsum as the tiles are now stuck fast to the gypsum, I am worried that water has soaked through the gypsum and rotted the timber underneath.
The timber is really thick and looks ok on the other side, but I am worried that dry rot could be forming in between the soaked gypsum and the timber, as there is no air or light etc between the soaked gypsum and the side of the timber which faces the tile back.
Also, i'd soaked the tiles in water to get the old grout off, so they were not properly dry, and although they are ceramic front, they are 70's tiles, and if I am right, the backs of them are very absorbent, so 2 reasons why I am worried dry rot could be forming between the pink gypsum and the timber behind.
I can't get the tiles off because the evostick will mean that the gypsum comes off as well, and i have no money. The kitchen needs redoing really, but I just need to know, is there any chance that dry rot could be forming betweeen the surface of the soaked gypsum and the timber beneath it, now that I have stuck tiles on with that evo stick that makes tiles really hard to get off without ripping the plaster off with it.
Dry rot scares me to death.
Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Clearly worrying you enough to resurrect this post at 1130pm!

Am I right in thinking that your concern is just the thought of dry rot forming?

Reaction score
Clearly worrying you enough to resurrect this post at 1130pm!

Am I right in thinking that your concern is just the thought of dry rot forming?
Yes, I am worried about dry rot forming between the damp gypsum that never got chance to dry out and the unseen side of the 4 x 4 behind it, hope that makes sense, happy to clairfy further if needed.

Weird how gypsum gets mentioned umpteen times and then the word plaster used in the last sentence.
This cynic is going to bed now...
Sorry I just worded it badly meant the gypsum plasterboard being rippped off if I try to pull the tiles off because of the evo stick I used, but yeah my main worry is that although 3 sides of the 4 x 4 timber behind it is ok, the side that touches the damp gypsum plasterboard, that never got chance to dry out, plus a dmap tile was stuck on top of it, I am worried that dry rot could be forming in between the layer of damp gypsum plasterboard and the side of the timber that touches the tiles, as this side is not exposed to light or air, dry rot's enemies.
Sorry I wasnt clear, guess I got a bit lazy towards the end and I also have autistic traits which makes it hard for me to choose my words unlesss I write and re edit and re edit posts sometimes, especially when anxoius, and dry rot is every homeowners nightmare.

T

Tommcd

I think you've already thought way too much about 3 tiles. The amount of water held by 3 ceramic tiles will not start rotting the wood behind it. If you can see the other 3 sides of the wood (although I cannot imagine how this is possible) then there must be plenty of opportunity for the wood to dry out naturally.

W

WetSaw

Go on then, I'll play with you for a bit longer.
If you're a "poor lady" why would you be spending what little money you have on primer, a grout float and the tube of Evostick when a small pot of fix and grout would have done the job? If you're that bothered about rot, dry or otherwise, you'd have done something about the bin bag draped over the windowsill that I assume is to stop water going behind the sink.
By the way, nice work peeling the flower sticker off of the tile. Gives it a real modern look.

IMG_20170326_172316025.jpg

Reaction score
I think you've already thought way too much about 3 tiles. The amount of water held by 3 ceramic tiles will not start rotting the wood behind it. If you can see the other 3 sides of the wood (although I cannot imagine how this is possible) then there must be plenty of opportunity for the wood to dry out naturally.
Hi I will try to explain as best as possible, I am not a troll honest. I am female and didn't know what I was doing and should have come here before I even attempted the job.
The set up in my kitchen is hard to describe.
I own a top floor flat in the roof and there is a crawl space behind the kitchen and bathroom where the velux windows are, this is where the timbers are.
When I say i can see 3 other sides of the timber I mean that the fourth side touches the gypsum, which I soaked by wrongly applying watered down primer, soaking the gypsum.
Here is a picture of what is on the other side, I have put a red arrow pointing to the side of the timber I cannot see, that I am worried is rottting due to soaked gypsum plasterboard not having chance to dry, as I stuck the tiles on top of soaked bare gypsum plasterboard. I hope that clarifies things but will be happy to give you any more information.
Worried_dry_rot_on_unseen_timber_facing_gypsum.jpg

Go on then, I'll play with you for a bit longer.
If you're a "poor lady" why would you be spending what little money you have on primer, a grout float and the tube of Evostick when a small pot of fix and grout would have done the job? If you're that bothered about rot, dry or otherwise, you'd have done something about the bin bag draped over the windowsill that I assume is to stop water going behind the sink.
By the way, nice work peeling the flower sticker off of the tile. Gives it a real modern look.

View attachment 95727
Thank you pdc for your post.

I promise I am not a troll, I am really worried that I have rotted the timbers in the picture with wet gypsum by sealing tiles on top with evo stick and trapping wet gypsum behind the timbers shown in pic above with the red arrow pointing towards the side of the timber that I am worried is vulnerable to dry rot as it is not exposed to air or light.

I say I am poor in that I need my whole kitchen redoing. Blown plaster underneath the tiling, in this picture, which I have put a red X on needs redoing, so tiles really need redoing, as do tiles on the windowsill. The whole kitchen needs gutting, which is what I cannot afford. Sticking the three tiles back was a temporary job.

Whole_of_kitchen_neeeds_retiling.jpg

I made some errors by using the primer before consulting anyone.
I rang granfix who made the primer and the man said I can only use cement based adhesive now that I have primed it. He said the tubbed adhesive is not cement based and that i would have to use powdered based adhesive, but I didnt want the hassle of buying a big sack and the mixing of it.

I confess I didnt really know what I was doing. I thought buying evo stick to stick the tiles down, and using the tubbed grout just to fill in the spaces between the tiles would be easier.

The top layer of paper from the pink gypsum plasterboard came off when I scraped the old grout off before soaking the bare pink gypsum plasterboard with watered down primer.
There are two reasons why I am worried about rot in the timber in the picture above of the space behind the kitchen.
1)Soaking the bare pink gypsum plasterboard, not giving it chance to dry before sticking the tiles down with evo stick.
2)The plastic bin liner. I put that bin liner there because there are loads of cracks in the grout on the windowsill and edge where the taps are, as they are chipped. Below the tiles is pink gypsum plasterboard.

I thought the waterproof bin liner would protect the tiles from getting more splashed and water soaking through the broken and cracked grout, risking perishing the gypsum plasterboard underneath the tiles, and rotting the timber beneath the gypsum plasterboard, as the timber is already waterstained. (see other picture below)
Please can you tell me if I have made things worse, rot-wise by having the bin liner on the tiles for all these months (now taken off), and if the bin liner has put the timber beneath the gypsum plasterboard more at risk of rot, how has it done this? as I really need educating, and am worried the bin bag has made the timber beneath the gypsum plasterboard under the tiles more vulnerable to rot, as it is already waterstained there too, as per picture below. The red arrow indicates a waterstain where there is chipped tile edge, which is why I put a bin liner there to protect it from splashes, the blue arrow is the timber the gypsum plasterboard, underneath the tiles behind the taps. There are more waterstains on the timber in the crawlspace beneath the windowsill, under the pink gypsum plasterboard, beneath the windowsill tiles as the grout in these tiles is broken or missing
water_stain_could_there_be_rot_on_timber_directly_under_chipped_tile.jpg

I am desperate to know, have I made things worse, rot wise, by using the bin liner to protect the tiles behind the taps, and if so, please could you tell how the bin liner could contribute to any potential dry or wet rot in the timber, as the timber does not belong to me, it belongs to the building owner, as the flat is leasehold rather than freehold.
Sorry to sound worried and I hope I am not seen as a troll, I just thought i would tackle the job myself, should have come here for help first.
I have now taken away the bag and put a wooden small chopping board behind the taps to protect the cracked tiles from splashes, as the chipped area keeps getting splashed which caused the waterstain in the pic with the red and blue arrow on, taken before i put the bin liner there. I thought I was protecting the wood with the bin liner. Could it have caused condensation? Is that why it may aggrevate any rot in the timber in the crawlspace beneath the gypsum plasterboard under the tiles?
thank you

Reaction score
Thanks

@KateJ
I'm just anxious to know how pdc thinks the back bin liner has contributed to any potential timber rot under the pink gypsum plasterboard.
I'm also anxious to know from anyone, now I have submitted photos of the timbers, and whether my soaking of the bare pink gypsum from the watered down primer and sealing with tiles has rotted the timber which is hidden, indicated by the red arrow in my photo.
Dry rot scares me and pdc seemed to know from his reply whether the bin liner may have worsened any hidden potential dry rot, given dry rot is famous for growing in dark unventilated and hidden places.
I'm really anxious to hear how bin liner could have worsened things as I thought it would protect broken tiles from splashes.

Reaction score
I can get in the crawl space but as side of the timber i am worried is rotten is stuck to the pink gypsum plasterboard, i cannot telll if it it rotting, while hidden.
Worried_dr_rot_on_hidden_part_of_timber.jpg

See how the side of the timber with the arrow is out of view, and as the gypsum plasterboard was soaked, i am worried dry rot could be forming behind there, all nice and hidden. I've watched videos from bona fide surveyors on dry rot and know that i thrives in areas hidden like the red arrowed side of the timber.
I also want to know what the black bin liner is doing to rot the timber, as @pdc said i hadnt done anything agbout it - I put it there to protect the broken tiles from being splashed as i could not afford to get them replaced. So, how can the bin liner contributet ot the rot.

PS I went into the crawlspace after writing this post and wanted to add this. I think the gypsum plasterboard where i put the tiles on has disintegrated a bit, as I was able to push my screwdriver a bit further in, in the area behind the tiles, that I had soaked, than other areas of gypsum plasterboard, so that is a bit of a worry.
The essence of what i am trying to say is damp gypsum in contact with wood, causaing dry rot as gypsum plasterobard takes so long to dry, like months, I know this from a roof leak I had in a gypsum lined roof space in the same flat. I just want rid of this flat but I dont want to be homeless, however, I think its unsaleable, the old owner even cut the main roofplate, and the building owner had to get a structural engineer to examine it to make sure it was structrually sound. Scuse my spelling.

Last edited:

Reply to Three tiles have fell off, how do i refix them? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks