Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Thistle one coat Plaster in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia
W

Waluigi

Please checkout the following advertisement.
anyone use this for tile onto?

Obviously lightweight tiles only as per most other plaster finishes. It seems crazy to do a float and set on some walls when a one coat system would work fine.

I trowelled a wall with it yesterday after I did my homework. I’ve previously not used it as a prep for tile because i’ve Never considered it suitable.

OP
O

One Day

Never. If "plastering" is needed, I will either re-board or patch up with sand and cement render.
No gypsum on my walls ever, if I have my way.
Occasionally I have to tile onto pinked walls, but then it's ceramics or thin porcelain only and I moan like mad about it!

OP
W

Waluigi

The tiles I’m using are small ceramics. I don’t get that many occasions where I’d have to plaster but this is one of them. Not enough space to re board. Not enough space for a two coat system really. Definitely not enough for a S&C render so one coat it is. I didn’t want to come out any more than about 10mm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

Waluigi

I’m a big re-boarder and do it on most jobs.

This is what I had. Plaster was rock solid. A couple of holes to fill from integrated soap dishes.

One coat was the answer. Knocking the old plaster off and a two coat system wasn’t an option IMO.

86D31DC9-98D4-43A1-9DF4-A768654FB5A4.jpeg

OP
W

Waluigi

Noooo. That wall was the one I one coated. That’s what the thread is about- me not knowing you can tile onto one coat. It’s got a tough finish to it. As usual with plaster, I lightly brush before final troweling, same with Multifinsih. Not a bad surface to tile with small ceramics IMHO.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Would a 6mm Hardie not be better or would that bring you out too far?

OP
W

Waluigi

That was an option but the wall was too far out. The wall with the shower valve on has a door on it and I’m fighting to get a tray in. Tray is 1500 x 760. Already I’m having to chase the long wall out slightly.

Overall, one coat was my best option. It’s completly flat and Plumb now. Trust me, dot and dabbing was my first thought.

A serrated trowel and HB would’ve worked depth wise but the wall would be p1ssed.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ah, I love ‘em when they are that tight!!

OP
W

Waluigi

It’s lovely to see pics of high end work and I sometimes get involved In it but this is bread and butter stuff right here and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

Old lady having a hip replacement done and the old dear won’t be able to get her leg over.......the Bath. Popping a tray in instead and fighting with the space and trying to bond it to the deck so there’s only a tiny step. All good fun :thumbsup:

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You should have no issues tile onto one coat plaster, not tiled onto it myself but have used it in the past as a patching plaster and recall it being pretty tough stuff, with a fairly open texture to it, a coat or two of primer and it should be right.

OP
W

Waluigi

Yes it is tough. I don’t remember it being quite so good.

I think my previous experience with it might’ve been the Knauf one coat, many years ago.

Thistle stuff is fine.

Reply to Thistle one coat Plaster in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock