Discuss This will be a long tiling job !!! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Did they just buy a bigger telly and Marc blagged the original one?
I wish!
To be honest, I don’t actually recall that incident on the tv niche, however, there was also a further 8-9 pieces it could have happened with, and the factory did admit the batch was faulty.
There was also another job where the same exact scenario occurred recently.
So even tho it’s a fairly rare occurrence, it happens often enough for me to get particular incidents confused with each other.
It’s typically down to bad handling by someone, and my ageing memory. :D

O

Old Mod

Who pays for the new pieces if they are unusable after a fracture etc?
Apart from how much to value a project at, that’s probably the most difficult question there is to answer.
A few of us have now become resolute in the thinking that if there are no spare pieces purchased, we won’t undertake the project, although it’s still not easy to implement.
If you have something like a 3-4 tile chain, theoretically, you break one, you break them all.
Getting one individual piece to match a chain is not the easiest task to undertake as you will appreciate Tom, I am led to believe it is possible though, sometimes.
We always make it perfectly clear that this can happen, it’s thin porcelain after all, it breaks with ease given the right circumstances.
There’s a very clear and specific way of handling and cutting this material, try and take shortcuts, and you jeopardise every piece that you handle.
So in a perfect world the client is responsible for replacing damaged pieces, now whether there is evidence to support the damage occurring before it’s arrival or indeed of it being badly handled before we touch it, that is another thing.
The client would have to take that up with a third party, usually supported with our input.
On a personal level, if I blatantly mishandle or abuse a piece, I feel it’s my responsibility to replace it, and I have done in the past.
That said, most projects are sufficiently large enough to be able to reuse most damaged pieces elsewhere, and it not cause an issue, but not always.
I feel that as long as you have the clients trust, as an installer, it’s rare you would have to dip in to your own pocket, if you’re competent at what you do.
There doesn’t appear to be a cut and dry answer to your question Tom, but one thing is for sure, we try to make damn sure, it’s not us! :)

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Katrina, bless her is discovering the best way to mitre as it is a bit of a stretch sometimes. We cut the niche out on the table and it fractured. The more we tried to mitre the more the fracture went. Bit the bullet and cut another 25mm off, problem solved :):)

D

Dumbo

Katrina, bless her is discovering the best way to mitre as it is a bit of a stretch sometimes. We cut the niche out on the table and it fractured. The more we tried to mitre the more the fracture went. Bit the bullet and cut another 25mm off, problem solved :):)
Just a thought . I don't know if it was possible. But maybe if you had drilled a small hole at the end of the fracture it may of stopped it by dissipating energy around the circle rather than just at one point .

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just a thought . I don't know if it was possible. But maybe if you had drilled a small hole at the end of the fracture it may of stopped it by dissipating energy around the circle rather than just at one point .
Didn't think of that. If it happens again ill give it a try :) JNdB92fkTj+GmjyBjHs1Nw.jpg fullsizeoutput_862.jpeg fullsizeoutput_863.jpeg

Reply to This will be a long tiling job !!! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks