Discuss Thickness of Sealent Around Bath? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AOIS

TF
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if anyone would mind advising if the thickness of sealent applied around my bath is normal? My concern is that it's been applied so thick to fill in a gap between the tiles and the bath.

Many thanks in advance for the help and advice.

image3.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG

AOIS

TF
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but what what could of been done to minimise the gap?

Is this likely to cause any issues going forwards?

AOIS

TF
Reaction score
Looking at this picture the gap between the bath and the tiles looks to be about 1cm. Therefore the shower screwn obviously overhangs the bath by the same distance.

Surly this is not right?

IMG_3851.JPG

AOIS

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts.

It's a new build property therefore I had no visibility of how the bathroom was installed. Do you think I should raise with the builder? I certainly don't feel it's been done correctly apart from the gap the thickness of sealant looks terrible.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks to me that the bath is away from the wall at that point .. could have been bath wall outta square... Or bath rounded at that point..Thicker silicon to compensate gap.. You'll only find out by raking it all out and checking..

D

Dumbo

Is it possible that even after tiling that space that you bath fits into is say 10mm longer than the bath . It just that both pictures seem to show the end of the bath rounding off as if coming to the end of it .

AOIS

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with what you say about the bath rounding off.

I guess what I need to understand is if there is a gap of that size then is that acceptable and could it lead to a water getting behind should the sealent shrink?

Is it also acceptable to have the shower screen mounted over a gap filled with sealent?

I

Italy

when you have bath resting on the tiles.
As it would seem.
usually they are using these edges in pvc.

upload_2017-7-9_21-12-8.jpeg

images

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ideally you're meant to fit the bath first, and even scribe it into the wall, then tile down to it. You'd only have a thin bead of silicone then, a few mm.

If it's tiled first then bath added, you're dealing with gaps all over the place.

It's not neat.

Bring it up with the builder if it's a new build. A few quid on trim will get over it.

Reply to Thickness of Sealent Around Bath? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks