Discuss The good old tiling on to a suspended floor debate in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

boycie

TF
Reaction score
Soooo, I have had an extension built which is watertight and fully roofed. I am doing the majority of the remaing work. The ground floor is a suspended floor with 8x2 joists at 400 centres. The largest span is approximately 2.5 metres with sleeper walls and internal walls breaking up the spans across the entire 6 metre width of the building.

I am planning to ultimately tile the ground floor throughout with tiles that are 300x300mm. The floor substrate is currently 22mm Caberfloor P5, glued and screwed. I am yet to do a deflection test, but I suspect it will be at least relatively minor, but I am looking for the minimum of L/360. The biggest room is the kitchen, so a relatively high traffic area (and a hallway).

I am aware that of the need for rigidity and to that end, I am proposing to use Hardiebacker board of at least 6mm thickness, possibly 12mm to attain a suitable surface to tile onto and to create a further layer of rigidity. I do need to consider the flooring heights in relation to the existing floor heights.

Does this sound like a reasonable and workable approach?

TIA

D

Dumbo

Dont get to hung up on flooring heights at the expense of doing job properly . If you are really concerned raise the other floors to match what you have to do to make the tiling last .

boycie

TF
Reaction score
Dont get to hung up on flooring heights at the expense of doing job properly . If you are really concerned raise the other floors to match what you have to do to make the tiling last .

There is only so much I can do in this respect. the other floors are concrete throughout the old part of the house and it is not practical to raise them significantly. there will be two thresholds to consider which I accept will have a height difference; I just need to keep this to a minimum within practical considerations.

Reply to The good old tiling on to a suspended floor debate in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks