Discuss the cost of drilling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bigdaz

When you've tiled a bathroom is it normal practice for the tiler to drill the holes for, say, the loo roll holder? do you charge for it or is it expected. what if the customer starts taking the pi$$ and comes up with a dozen things that need fitting to the walls? and finally, is drilling done following grouting or next day..?

T

tysfoot

if they start taking the p**s you can start saying its gonna cost extra but if you have the eqipment its not gonna take long to drill a few holes for the customer.

Remember the last bits of details at the end of the job is important as you can get a few extra quid for a tip. if i do a bathroom and i think between 550 - 600 always quote about 570 - 580 cos most of them will give you that 20quid tip

B

brian c

When pricing up the job you can ask if there is any bathroom furnishings being installed,this way you can hide the cost in the price of the job.

P

protilers

Hello,
I always drill the expected holes for free (i.e radiator pipes, toilet mounts,push button flush....Etc....)
However, if you are going to mount all thier fixtures and fittings, you must charge....
if you drill the holes you may as well mount them!!!!!!!!
I would proberbly charge day rate(if there is loads!) or £10-£15 per item.....
toilet roll holder (£15)
toilet brush holder (£15)
soap holder (£15)
Etc. Etc. Etc.

please note this is only an example.....i have had to drill 20mm porcelain before now and i can tell you it cost a fortune in marchrist drill bits @ £70 each...all has to be accounted for.....or you will go skint......:thumbsup:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Could cost you a lot if you hit a pipe, defo charge for the holes or that easy little hole will bite you on the arse. I here the customer service side of things just be carefull or you will be pulling all your tiles off to get to the pipe to repair it at your expense

P

protilers

i mean where you can see pipes / screwbolts hanging out of the wall are free..
as for the pipework i always ask that the pipes are drawn on the wall in felt pen by the builder.........if you are tiling onto existing tiles etc. then you can go 12mm deep because of your tiling and adhesive ,not to mention the plasterboard and/or plaster.....

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazTech

Always charge extra for this service....."can you just do me a favour mate" just dosn't cut it with me.....I always want to know if holes have to be drilled prior to the job starting....and drill them before grouting as the red clay dust will stain the grout.. If you have to drill after grouting then seal an envelope, cut off the top and tape it like a pocket under the drill hole...this catches the dust.........gaz

T

tiler burden

mr protiler

what marcrist drill sizes do you carry for bathroom fitting??

i am ordering some this week and i want to keep the cost down abit

also, how many holes are you getting out of the marcrist bits..i have heard various rumours, some say around 60, some say over a hundred, just thought id ask seeing that you use them

cheers
ed

D

davy_G

I only drill holes to allow mw to tile. ie for shower fittings, waste pipes and water supply etc.
I dont fit anything else and would have to charge if its porcelain.

F

Fred

I include the holes with the job, unless I have seen that the tiles are really hard porcelain, then I add maybe £20 more on the whole price. After all, we have to re-new the drills and they are not cheap.

B

BuyBrandTools

mr protiler

what marcrist drill sizes do you carry for bathroom fitting??

i am ordering some this week and i want to keep the cost down abit

also, how many holes are you getting out of the marcrist bits..i have heard various rumours, some say around 60, some say over a hundred, just thought id ask seeing that you use them

cheers
ed

Hi Ed - Richard from 365 has undertaken extensive research and has found 6mm, 8mm, 16mm, 30mm and 40mm to be some of the most common sizes.

The Marcrist drill bits are supposed to cut around 600-700 on porcelain holes but have been known to still be going after a couple of thousand holes on ceramics

P

protilers

6mm and 8mm a must have if you are going to fit soapholders etc.

i find 16mm (personally) to tight for 15mm copper pipe......i choose 18mm for that.
i also use my 27mm and my 38mm alot.....showerheads,recessed shower valves etc....

my advice is invest in quality....it will last.....for many many holes,
but because the are so expensive buy them as you need them....if your next job only requires the 18mm for rad pipes hanging out the wall....just by the 18mm,all these useful things will end up in your toolbox as you go along........
along with some other stange impulse buys.....like my ultrasonic measurer (useless on a good day).......

good luck!

T

tiler burden

totally agree with protiler :0)

i cant see how if your in this business how you can not buy the marcrist bits from buybrandtools.com (or whoever gives you the best deal??) you only have to work out the price and the amount of holes they cut in order to realise that marcrist are the best 'pound for pound solution'....i was looking at buying the starterkit with the 6mm bit, drill guide and water swivel. the 8mm the 19mm (agree with pt, the extra couple of mm either side is needed) the 36mm and the 44 mm, that lot comes to about £350 and you will get 600-700 on grade 5 porcelain.. how can any budget drill bit
compete with that , the answer is it cant...

gaz made a point about quality last week and paying for it and this is a prime example..

thanks to neil @ buybrand and protiler (ps protiler, your website is brilliant mate!!!) was it alot

ed

finally, to anyone readng this, dont get confused with the marcrist bits like i did, the 750 range do 60 holes per bit on porc and the 850 range are the big boys!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to the cost of drilling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks