Discuss Tanking wall beside bath in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Mossop

I was just wondering which of the many options you would use when putting up new board on the wall which runs the length of a bath with an overhead shower above the bath?

That is, a wall currently with nothing attached to the stud.

Options appear to be putting up ordinary plasterboard, or plywood, or Hardibacker or AquaPanel or some other cement-based board.

Tanking: do you use the paint-on tanking products or do you use an overlap matting system?

I'd be interested in hearing which method you would use, and if you have any particular reasons as to why you'd choose that substrate and tanking or matting finish?

Thanks.

Q

Qwerty

I use all different types of tanking but will choose the type that best suits the circumstances....... size of area to be tanked, substrate, weight of tiles, type of tiles, occasional or regular shower use etc etc.

For your situation I would advise you use standard square edge plasterboard and a liquid tanking product as it is the quickest, easiest and cheapest method. It will be adequate for your situation (depending on tile choice of course!)

M

Mossop

I do have some tapered edge sound reducing plasterboard. I suppose it's better to have square edge plasterboard, rather than cut off the tapered edge?

I have spoken with a bathroom installer on the 'phone and he did say he usually uses plywood on the wall, then tanks this.

If I was getting this installer, do you think it's better just to let him go with what he is used to using rather than insist on using plasterboard? In other words, is there any negative in using tanked plywood over tanked plasterboard?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I do have some tapered edge sound reducing plasterboard. I suppose it's better to have square edge plasterboard, rather than cut off the tapered edge?

I have spoken with a bathroom installer on the 'phone and he did say he usually uses plywood on the wall, then tanks this.

If I was getting this installer, do you think it's better just to let him go with what he is used to using rather than insist on using plasterboard? In other words, is there any negative in using tanked plywood over tanked plasterboard?

No need to cut off the tapered edge, butt together and tape and fill flush with board.

M

Mossop

Plywood has no place in a wet area, tanked or not. There is no benifit to it but lots of negatives!
What about on the area of wall where a hand shower is mounted?

A bathroom installer I was speaking with said he often tanks plasterboard, though on the area where there is a wall-mounted hand shower he said plywood is good as after many months/years of placing/removing a hand shower on the wall this may have a negative impact on the underlying plasterboard. This should not be an issue with plywood.

What do you think?

Q

Qwerty

Does the statement above contradict the statement below? Or by "wood" (below) perhaps you mean wood other than ply? If you could clarify, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, not worded well but I know what he means. Wood is far more susceptible to thermal movement, swelling etc. It is best avoided in a wet area as there are far superior products out there. Waterproof, structural tanking boards are available which will be more suitable.

F

Flintstone

Sorry, what I meant was if he wants to install some wood to the stud work before over boarding so there is a secure fixing in there for things to screw to that’s ok.

Q

Qwerty

Do you mean, for example, hardiboard?

Aquapanel, Hardibacker & no more ply are water resistant but not waterproof.
A structural waterproof tanking board such as wedi, schluter, marmox, orbry, jackoboard are the better choice.

Is the shower backing onto a stud wall or airing cupboard?

Reply to Tanking wall beside bath in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks