Discuss Tanking/shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

CraigH

Hi,

If i fit my new shower tray under aqual panel boards (as opposed to against the boards). How exactly do i seal it all up?

Im going to buy a tanking kit and on another thread was recommended to use Classi seal. But if i fix classi seal to the side of my shower tray, it isnt going to sit against the wall as the wall will be on top of it if that makes sense.

The shower tray is surrounded by 3 walls and fits just against the studwork, hence the aqua boards going on top, this is how i believe my existing one is fitted.

More than happy to go to town and over engineer the sealing to ensure it remains leak free!

O

One Day

Hi. Aqua panel isn't waterproof, only water resistant.
If you were to use a waterproof board, i would recommend either kerdi board bonded to the tray with kerdi-fix or wedi board bonded with wedi 610.
Personally, i wouldn't even try to make a waterproof joint from aqua panel to a shower tray. That would be kind of like pee-pee in a strong wind.... A waste of time that will end up wet and smelly.

C

CraigH

I thought that was the point in tanking the aqua boards?

I know they are not waterproof, only they dont break up when wet.

I liked the idea of aqua boards because the shower is in a small end of the bathroom surrounded by 3 walls and the aqua boards were a nice size to handle in a small space. (12.5mm thick). one of the walls the shower sits on is 2.5m long so was going to aquaboard the full length of that wall (Currently has tiles on it anyway so needs to come off).

So if i used wedi board i sit these on top of shower tray with a small gap and fill the joint with wedi 610?

O

One Day

Hi Craig, I just don't like these boards which are self-defeating. If they need tanking - may as well use plasterboards imo. Far better to use waterproof board. I would bead the 610 onto the tray and drop the board onto it. Then fix some wedi tape - again using 610 (mask up the tray approx 10mm from the board edge though to keep it clean). 610 all joints and fixings and you have as good an installation as you will get with an acrylic tray.

Reply to Tanking/shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks