Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Taking 2mm slither off window tile in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Shaving a slither off a tile. All was going well with tile my kitchen, but I've found that 2 tiles are too deep by 2mm. These tiles are on the window cill and due to a tiny lip at the base of the window it means that these tiles sit forward just enough so that the tile edge trim will sit proud by the thickness of the trim. Whats the best way to trim the tile down to allow the tile to sit correctly? I've got a carbride file and was intending to sit there and keep filing it down until I achieve the right depth of tile. Nippers would probably mean taking too much off and scoring will likely not work well either.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Score then nippers.......or wet cut.....or grinder......or teenager with a file and a promise of a fiver.....:)

Seriously....just score and nip.... piece of cake..:)

OP
D
Reaction score
OK thanks will try,tiles are 500mm long, so will take a while. I guess I score a line length ways and then make lots of other scores along this perpendicular so that i can start nipping off little chunks each time

OP
D
Reaction score
I was tempted to get a grinder, but feel that you need quite a bit of skill to get good cuts and I'd probably end up waisting too much. I've got a wet tile saw but doubt I'd be able to cut off 2mm easily.

D

Dumbo

I was tempted to get a grinder, but feel that you need quite a bit of skill to get good cuts and I'd probably end up waisting too much. I've got a wet tile saw but doubt I'd be able to cut off 2mm easily.
You should have a gap between window frame and tile that you silicone . A good silicone job will cover a not great job on the cutting

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Get a local tiler to wiz a bit off with a grinder.. Quick and easy .. Take a couple of minutes...job done .. Cost you a drink.( or two)!

O

Old Mod

Polishing wheel, flush cut blade, STL style blade, all quick and clean methods of achieving such a small reduction in size.

Reply to Taking 2mm slither off window tile in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock