Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Surface Preparation after Removing Old Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

arpee

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
First of all a big shout out to everyone that contributes to these forums in terms of help and advice - I don't post often but I really appreciate the tips that I've been able to pick up here - if only I had the time and money to put more of them into practice!

Right now I am having a go at re-tile a guest bathroom and have a fairly basic problem to work on. As you can see from the pics, one wall is plaster skim over PB, the other is plaster over what looks like mortar. Where the skim has come away I am wondering if I can fill the holes and, if so, what with? Should I re-skim? I imagine another option might be to remove the old PB one one wall and re-fit, but there is a problem with this solution because we would like to keep the mirrors that seem to have been glued to the plaster (and if they are not glued, they have some very clever fixing system that I haven't been able to discover!) It's not a question of the work involved in re-boarding, I just don't think it would be possible to remove the mirrors without breaking them.

Unfortunately we want to put a fairly heavy tile up (600x400 porcelain, about 10mm thick) so I am anxious to do everything as much as possible by the book. All advice greatly appreciated.

CIMG0025.JPG CIMG0024.JPG

W

WetSaw

Reboarding is the best option especially considering the weight of the tiles you are going to use. Mirrors are relatively cheap from a glass supplier so I would replace them. It will probably make it easier to set out the tile as well, then get a mirror cut to suit the space.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Those tiles would be way to heavy for the substrate you currently have.
I would overboard with 12mm cement boards.....

F

Flintstone

There isn’t a way to make those walls tillable with those tiles without over boarding. As said, mirrors aren’t expensive to replace. Easiest way is to solid bed 6mm marmox board or equivalent with tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and mechanical fixings into both the studs and also the solid wall. 12mm board is only needed if your dot and dabbing out, or going direct to studs

R

Rookery

Reboarding is the best option especially considering the weight of the tiles you are going to use. Mirrors are relatively cheap from a glass supplier so I would replace them. It will probably make it easier to set out the tile as well, then get a mirror cut to suit the space.
+ 1

P

Perry

The plasterboard wall can be cut out and replaced with new, but don't plaster it. That will be cheaper. If the other wall is render you can remove the plaster, and tile direct on that if it's reasonably clean of plaster. If you have the time and not the money. And IMO mirrors are better stuck onto the tiles rather than tiled around. looks more professional.

OP
A

arpee

TF
Reaction score
Thanks all of you - seems pretty clear that some boarding will be required! Having thought about the mirrors I think I can get them off anyway and that will simplify things quite a bit. One further question - for the PB wall, could I attach the marmox to the existing wall, always assuming I can find the existing studs to attach appropriately?

P

Perry

You only need the Marmox in the wet areas is the plasterboard around the shower?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Surface Preparation after Removing Old Tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock