Discuss Substrate weight ratio / bonding in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
hi all,

So from my notes plaster can only take 20kg per m2 (including adhesive/grout).

I’m just about to tile a wet room and my issue is this:

I’ve had the room skimmed (it’s mostly a stud wall room with plasterboards, part of one wall is block). This same part block/ part stud wall had to be brought into line with bonding to square it up. On the thickest side the bonding is around 1 inch thick, on the thinnest side it’s about a 3mm skim.

Now the customer has just changed her tiles and wants 1200x600 porcelain tiles put up around the shower area (they’re 35.5kg per 1.44m2), one of the walls being the bonded wall. The rest of the walls are 10mm 150x400 ceramics.

Am I best fixing backer boards on all walls? My next issue is I have no idea where the studs are to fix the boards to.

Any help and advice would be great!!!!!

T

The Tiler

overboard the lot, can't fix onto bonding anyway.
find the studs first, drill holes to locate them and level up and mark. Screw and raw plugs into solid wall. Washers maybe needed for backer boards depending on the type used.
tank room or joints depending on the boards.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
overboard the lot, can't fix onto bonding anyway.
find the studs first, drill holes to locate them and level up and mark. Screw and raw plugs into solid wall. Washers maybe needed for backer boards depending on the type used.
tank room or joints depending on the boards.
Cheers mate.. out of three of us that I’ve kept in contact with after doing the course, I’m the only fecker getting these challenging jobs ‍♂️

T

The Tiler

the challenging jobs are the best ones, gets very boring, imho, if they are all easy.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
the challenging jobs are the best ones, gets very boring, imho, if they are all easy.
Lol this is only my 3rd job and none have been easy.. I’d kill for a straight forward one haha but I k ow what you’re saying.. better off in the deep end from the get go.. can’t get worse than what I’ve had so far

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does the weight ratio of plasterboard get affected if it's skimmed? I can't find the answer any where, they just quote unskimmed p'board.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
yes it does
plasterboards are 32kg m2
plaster is 20kg m2
I think

It can also be affected by the tanking system you use.
Check with the manufacturer beforehand.

W

Waluigi

Tilemaster tanking doesn’t reduce the weight limit.

It’s one of the easiest systems on the market and one of the best paint on system IMHO

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

It’s one of the easiest systems on the market and one of the best paint on system IMHO

I agree, by far the best I have used.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score

ill have to have a look at that one, I use Ardex I think. Can’t remember seeing Tilemaster in CTD

Reply to Substrate weight ratio / bonding in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks