Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Substraight advice for splashback in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Anthony Wills

Anthony Wills Active Member

Ok, strange one. My customer was advised to chalk his walls. He has removed the old tiles and adhesive in the kitchen which, luckily, has left the walls in a fairly straight condition. But he had bought tubes of chalk and kind of applied it like you would with plaster to the whole wall. I have just used an aycrlic primer diluted 1:1 as per instructions, but this has weakened the chalk meaning I can basically scrape it of with my fingers. Any advice please? Using bal green star, 150 x 150 ceramic (cheap) tiles. Thank you

2. macten

macten Professional Tiler

I'd be scraping it all off.
    Sounds like it will come off easy enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. timeless john

timeless john Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Yes scrape it all off and reprime the bare plaster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. acaciaguy

acaciaguy Professional Tiler

As above. Good advice

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Wills

Tried to get it off but it's left the substraight in a pretty crap state. No plaster in places. So I either try and scrape of all the plaster, cut out the plaster board and reboard or overboard with 3mm? Backer board.

6. Anthony Wills

Or is 6mm the smallest?

7. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

4mm is pretty easy to get hold of

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Anthony Wills

Update: the customer has spoken to his Dad, who gave the chalking advice. His Dad is a painter and decorator and has now said, "just PVA it, then when it's dry you can tile it, that's what i did in my bathroom" :flushed::fearscream: I've explained that you don't use PVA for tiling.

It turns out the rest of the chalk came of easy, so I'm going to re-skim one area, then tile when it's gone off....using acrylic primer of course