Discuss Stressed new member from saddlewrth in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Joan poole

hello everyone. I really need to know where I stand with my tiler who is finishing tomorrow. Hooray!! I agreed for 4 days at £150 plus £210 for materials making £810. I day before he was due to come I explained I wanted mosaic tile on window chill. He said that would be extra so I said not but I wanted silver trim. He said this was £30 extra.
Fast forward to Monday when he's finishing the floor . Do you think he'll have a go at charging for 5 days? I want to be armed with advice. He started at 8 and finished at 4 except for last Friday when he finished at 2 to go fishing!

I am also not happy with 2 things
1. The trim around the door looks rubbish - he said he's going to do something with this?
2. My uvpc ceiling had silver trim all around - now only 1 side and looks odd. He said he's going to put sealant on it tomorrow- I think this will look an absolute mess.

I didn't really inspect a lot of it because I had gastroenteritis last week and was so ill so it's probably my fault for not checking. - I might add that he is pretty personable but moans and wingers about the plumber, electricians work in fact everybody but his own. It's been my 3rd tomorrow without a working bathroom so it has been very hard to cope with .. He also sent me out to get 2 more sheets of mosaics while I was ill. Then later on in the pm he said he needed 1 more sheet which I had to pay extra delivery for . It came after he'd left to go fishing that day.

Hope I've not gone on too much with my tale of woe..

image.jpg

F

Flintstone

Joan, I'm not sure what your asking ? The picture doesn't show anything at all really. we don't discuss prices on the forum, but if he has given you a price for the job and you have agreed the extras then that's the price at the end unless he's kept you informed.

J

Joan poole

Sorry. My iPad is not really easy to work with at the moment !. Okay you don't discuss prices. I just wanted to know what other tiles thought? It was a verbal agreement over the phone. I've agreed the cost for the stainless steel trim. No he hasn't kept me informed about going over the 4 days.
The photo shows a trim next to the architrave . At the top of the trim it has a broken corner and in my opinion looks shoddy. Will try and post a better picture. Also I had trim all around my ceiling and now it's only on 3 sides and looks a mess? I just need advice as I think it needs rectifying.

image.jpg

W

Waluigi

Yes needs more pics. Yeah the top of the trim does look poor. I’m trying to work out why he has trim there in the first place.

S

Spare Tool

I work a lot on dayrate and always give a min and maximum days it could take to complete the job, so if it was me would have probably estimated between 3-5 days and charged accordingly, if he's said he'd have it done in 4 and no more then thats a quote and not an estimate and he should stick to it.. Regarding the work if your not happy with anything then speak to him and give him the chance to put things right..
Did he catch anything on Friday? :D

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The work is irrelevant in the context of your question. You agreed a price for a job. If he as a professional has underestimated the time it will take him that's tough. If you have agreed a price I advance for changes to the spec i.e. the mosaic then that's his look out.

B

Blunt Tool

Don’t know why he has put trim up doorway facing? But not going to slate a tiler over a couple of blurred images and just hope this isn’t a customer trying to get out of paying for a job. Give him a chance to fix what you are not happy with and at least pay him what was quoted if rest of job you seem to be happy with is ok

B

Blunt Tool

I've shot my self in the foot many times under pricing jobs in the past and never tried asking for more u take it on the chin and learn from it .....
Dont think there is a tiler on here who hasn’t taken a hit on a job and probably still does time to time, that’s why I eat and have no hair :(

Reply to Stressed new member from saddlewrth in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks