Discuss Start again or paint? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

adam1966

Hi everyone. Apologies in advance if this post is a little long winded.

Couple of years ago, a friend of a friend offered to tile my bathroom. It was a total disaster from start to finish. The tiling was a mess (worse than any I've seen on here) and to top it off, there were threats of violence when I complained. Anyway...got someone else to do the new shower enclosure and one wall (which I really like) but he became ill and couldn't finish the job. I then sought advice from a forum and some guy offered to finish and make right the floor and 2 walls. I was unwell at the time, so went to stay with family while the work was being done. He said it was best to tile over the bad tiles, which surprised me, but I'm not a tiler, so agreed. He was going to purchase the polished tiles I showed him (said he would get a discount). When I returned home, the tiles were dull matt. not polished like the shower enclosure and opposite wall. I also noticed that the finishing was not very good (see pics) I should have kicked up a fuss, but after the first "tiler" I just wanted a quite life without the hassle. I was pleased to finally have a working, clean bathroom.

So after that back story, I'm now (a few years later) looking at my tiles and hating them. I don't know much about tiles, but they are stone, and I don't think they were treated. So they now look dirty, and I can't get the marks off. The grouting is also dirty, and I've tried different cleaners, but nothing works.

So finally (lol) my question is: Do I start again? which would mean finding another tiler and digging up 2 layers of tiles from the floor and 2 walls (neighbours will love that lol) or is it possible to paint/stain them? If so, how would I go about that ie: what primer etc... I have health issues, so would still need to find someone to do the work.

I'm quite happy to have the bad tiles redone, but a little worried about how long it would take to strip the tiles so as not to disturb my neighbours. Yes, I'm a wuss, and hate confrontation. Just want a quiet life, and a nice bathroom :)

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Pics are of dirty marks/grouting, and some pics to give an idea of the layout/ tiles in general.

nFOKcF2BSwqU0uqdHUhqDw.jpg zpBBDi+pSA221GiYOW310A.jpg ZTzrmlFQRwaretw0Mp0V%A.jpg wFQr2+XjQ+yBXGc6x0rPzw.jpg PdhWfrRSR%65DNEN1j%f5Q.jpg mgvbUcwuRWuMZhG5%yphzQ.jpg tkAQgFUxTLK0QX8du6cZaA.jpg

B

Blunt Tool

Welcome Adam, Terrible finish for someone who expects to be paid by you for tiling. IMO all off both layers and start again this time do your homework when sourcing a tiler ask for recommendations, speak to his other customers, if he is decent he won’t mind doing this. Get a quote and time limit from him and take it from there.

A

adam1966

Welcome Adam, Terrible finish for someone who expects to be paid by you for tiling. IMO all off both layers and start again this time do your homework when sourcing a tiler ask for recommendations, speak to his other customers, if he is decent he won’t mind doing this. Get a quote and time limit from him and take it from there.

Hi Callatiler, thanks for the reply. Yes deep down I know they need to be replaced. Just dreading the possible hassle. Thanks again :)

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sometimes we tilers run out of work for one reason or another. When I see things like this I cant fathom why !!! As for neighbours Im sure if they do work their not going to worry Lol

G

GoneGuy

Have a look on the thread find a tiler and get a quote and if you agree to the work just pop around to your neighbour and mention your having some work done and it will take x amount of time so might be some noise etc.
I would recommend a full strip out and start again.

A

adam1966

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm thinking I should start again. 3rd time lucky maybe? :)

D

Dumbo

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm thinking I should start again. 3rd time lucky maybe? :)
It's not about luck be carefull who you choose. If somebody you know says they had a good tiler go and see it don' take their word for it as some people are quality blind ( these people are normally referred to as general builders )

Reply to Start again or paint? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks