Discuss Standing my ground and following the codes...Am i in the wrong? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

slythetiler

Hi folks,
I turned up to start the job and began ripping up the existing quarry tiles to find the concrete bed of the steps hanging in about 2 inch of water, with pitholes in the bed about 4 inch deep - full of water! It rained the whole time i was there lifting the existing tiles.
Told the customer that this is not good for tiling - suggested we get the excess water off, allow the bed to dry out and begin prepping the surface - as in filling and levelling the bed, and shuttering the tread and rises to the same depth. This work was intermittent based on the weather, i.e is was leathering down most of the time i and didnt want to drop concrete or leveller under such conditions. All this time, i covered the bed and steps down with tarp to protect it from the rain as best i could.Anyway i managed to get in and complete about 75% of the work.
it was agreed that i would fit him in depending on the weather. Each time i book him in it has lashed down.
I wont fix the tiles when its pissing down, and i wont grout the existing fixed tiles either when they are saturated! The customer has removed the tarp saying its the worst thing i could do to cover them up?
I always work to standard, and what i have been taught and learnt by my mistakes.
I have explained my reluctance to finish off the tiles or grout due to the potential issues of trapped water under the tiles, and discolouration and patchy grout, and efflorescence due to the standing water. Am i in the wrong for standing by what i believe to be basic principals of tiling and working to the standards, and should i just crack on with the job regardless?

sorry for the long post but i would be interested to hear what you have to say.

Oh and the customer refused to allow me to erect a canopy over the area to aid in drying and fixing the tiles because they didnt want the house to look like the clampetts house!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I learnt this lesson a long time ago..... Never ever book in an outside job unless it's the hight of summer..... If there is such a thing in this country..
However I wouldn't of even started the job if it was raining....
Always gets customers backs up if you start something you can't finish...
But yes your right you can't tile or grout in the rain or if the temp is under 5 degrees....

B

Bill

I have fixed tiles underwater in swimming pools so I say you do not understand which materials to use to help overcome the situation.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMG_20171001_160448.png

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Use an appropriate adhesive. Simples. There are quite a few rapid setting adhesives on the market that would be suitable. My preferred choice is from the Ardex range.
How do you stop the adhesive being washed away from a continual rain shower?

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Use an appropriate adhesive. Simples. There are quite a few rapid setting adhesives on the market that would be suitable. My preferred choice is from the Ardex range.
Im sorry but i think your answer is crazy ,how the hell can tiling outside steps be compared to patching a couple of tiles in a swimming pool thats comical

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
N
Hi folks,
I turned up to start the job and began ripping up the existing quarry tiles to find the concrete bed of the steps hanging in about 2 inch of water, with pitholes in the bed about 4 inch deep - full of water! It rained the whole time i was there lifting the existing tiles.
Told the customer that this is not good for tiling - suggested we get the excess water off, allow the bed to dry out and begin prepping the surface - as in filling and levelling the bed, and shuttering the tread and rises to the same depth. This work was intermittent based on the weather, i.e is was leathering down most of the time i and didnt want to drop concrete or leveller under such conditions. All this time, i covered the bed and steps down with tarp to protect it from the rain as best i could.Anyway i managed to get in and complete about 75% of the work.
it was agreed that i would fit him in depending on the weather. Each time i book him in it has lashed down.
I wont fix the tiles when its pissing down, and i wont grout the existing fixed tiles either when they are saturated! The customer has removed the tarp saying its the worst thing i could do to cover them up?
I always work to standard, and what i have been taught and learnt by my mistakes.
I have explained my reluctance to finish off the tiles or grout due to the potential issues of trapped water under the tiles, and discolouration and patchy grout, and efflorescence due to the standing water. Am i in the wrong for standing by what i believe to be basic principals of tiling and working to the standards, and should i just crack on with the job regardless?

sorry for the long post but i would be interested to hear what you have to say.

Oh and the customer refused to allow me to erect a canopy over the area to aid in drying and fixing the tiles because they didnt want the house to look like the clampetts house!!

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No your not wrong at all unless you invest in a snorkel and flippers ,think about what the customer might say when it all went pear shaped

F

Flintstone

Your totally right in what your saying to the customer. I wouldn't have taken it on at this time of year but that's up to you.

S

slythetiler

I have fixed tiles underwater in swimming pools so I say you do not understand which materials to use to help overcome the situation.

what is the appropriate adhesive that i can use to tile outside in wet conditions? Also, do ardex manufacture a grout specifically for use in inclement weather for grout lines full of water?

S

slythetiler

I learnt this lesson a long time ago..... Never ever book in an outside job unless it's the hight of summer..... If there is such a thing in this country..
However I wouldn't of even started the job if it was raining....
Always gets customers backs up if you start something you can't finish...
But yes your right you can't tile or grout in the rain or if the temp is under 5 degrees....
i didnt actually start it in the rain, my original start date was postponed due to the weather being rubbish! i had four good days in on the job to get as much down as possible, just didnt have the chance to carry on! I have done lots of outside work before, and always erected a canopy or lean to so i can work without worrying about the weather - obviously not in conditions below 5deg. But this time the customer refused blankly to having a canopy. Job would have only been 7-10 days!!

Reply to Standing my ground and following the codes...Am i in the wrong? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks