Discuss Squeaky Chipboard what to do before tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello again guys, Took up all my laminate and the floor is pretty iffy, obviously done by cowboys.
Some parts are not level which I'm told I can level those parts with 'thin set' also is very squeaky but not that bouncy. How would I get rid of the squeakiness?
What is the best course of action. Would you just put down 'No more ply' and tile or should I do something to get rid of the noise first. I just don't want the tiles to crack more than anything else. X marks the squeaky spots. The tiles are 600 x 600 porcelain.
20170818_151433.jpg
20170818_151615.jpg
20170818_151359.jpg

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, In the main the squeaky areas are close to where boards join, that would be consistent with board edges rubbing together when walked upon. Additional face fixing is problematic not knowing what's below, Cables,pipes,etc). So what about coring small holes in the top feather of the t&g joint pouring in a resin based wood glue, in addition drill and countersink small screws through the t& g also. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Hi, In the main the squeaky areas are close to where boards join, that would be consistent with board edges rubbing together when walked upon. Additional face fixing is problematic not knowing what's below, Cables,pipes,etc). So what about coring small holes in the top feather of the t&g joint pouring in a resin based wood glue, in addition drill and countersink small screws through the t& g also. Just a thought.

How much do you think it will cost to put 8.5 sqm new floor down to stop the squeaking? The people that built this place were straight up cowboys. The nails are not even in the right places in the board.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
How much do you think it will cost to put 8.5 sqm new floor down to stop the squeaking? The people that built this place were straight up cowboys. The nails are not even in the right places in the board.
Doing the work yourself, ball park , £150! (Materials).

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That is lot. Is there any other way to pull up the existing floor without damaging it and add screws/nails in the correct places?
You could try that but honestly that's a lot of work and hassle and you will cause damage to existing flooring. I would overboard with 6mm cement faced insulation boards,glued and screwed, will also help deadening the squeaking boards.

Reaction score
You could try that but honestly that's a lot of work and hassle and you will cause damage to existing flooring. I would overboard with 6mm cement faced insulation boards,glued and screwed, will also help deadening the squeaking boards.

Thanks but I've now realised that 6mm boards will make the floor too high for transition between rooms. So was thinking about ditra 3mm, once I try to kill the noise and level what I can somehow. :(

Reply to Squeaky Chipboard what to do before tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks