Discuss Splitface Porcelain tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I am doing a splashback in my own home and have managed to get some Wickes porcelain Splitface tiles. Won't be the best quality but we like the look of them.
Do the tiles have to be all laid the same way so the pattern on the tiles is the same or do they need flipped 180 each time so the pattern is not the same, or does it not matter?
I have laid out 4 tiles just to show.
Should they be laid in brick effect? Only going 2 high in utility room and about 2.5 high in kitchen up to cabinets.
I have read they don't need grouted but when laid there are some gaps so would prefer to grout but what's the easiest way to grout small gaps? Piping bag and nozzle?
Thanks for your advice.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Fit them all the same way, and stagger the joints, last time I fitted them I just filled the joint's with my finger...

20160525_125004.jpg

Maybe not the exact tile you got, but you get the picture...

B

Bill

split face quartz/stone are different than split face fake ones made from porcelain/ceramic.....

the fake ones, like you have got, need grouting on my opinion.

They can be fixed in any order you want.

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys,
so if I'm doing internal corners, would you continue the pattern round the corner or is it different using Splitface due to the variation in heights?

G

GoneGuy

Mapei and tilemaster and other good brands have grouts with colour match silicone.
Dependent on how the tile finishes I would use silicone ( tile to kitchen cupboard for example ) or decorators caulk ( tile to ceiling for example) if the adjacent wall is to be painted as paint will not run off the silicone

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Mapei and tilemaster and other good brands have grouts with colour match silicone.
Dependent on how the tile finishes I would use silicone ( tile to kitchen cupboard for example ) or decorators caulk ( tile to ceiling for example) if the adjacent wall is to be painted as paint will not run off the silicone

Thanks just to confirm, did you mean to use caulk if painting?
As I though the paint wouldn't bond to the silicon.
Thanks

Reply to Splitface Porcelain tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks