Discuss Solution To tile floor issues in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Popey

TF
Reaction score
hi guys, thanks to this forum I am a little wiser.

I’m 1/2 way through my bathroom refurb been completed by a contractor, using various tradesmen.

The good news is only the bath is fitted, the bad news is it’s boarded over but still squeaking when walked on. They have also only used 9mm ply and put it down using nails. (See pics)

My thoughts are now asking them to tip it up, screw down new floor boards and then fix with screws 18mm ply. Do you think this would be a big delay?

Does this sound reasonable?

E203C52B-C40F-4847-85F2-27E60FD7B391.jpeg C2751D06-EEB6-4CE3-AE61-4B1340AB4BAB.jpeg F60D5D3A-6E59-4699-A0AA-335B0C5E8436.jpeg

W

WetSaw

Not a suitable substrate and also against British Standards.
Floor boards should have been screwed down first ( providing there's no deflection, bounce, in the floor) then overlaid with a suitable backer board which would generally be stuck down with tile adhesive and screwed.

Popey

TF
Reaction score
Not a suitable substrate and also against British Standards.
Floor boards should have been screwed down first ( providing there's no deflection, bounce, in the floor) then overlaid with a suitable backer board which would generally be stuck down with tile adhesive and screwed.

What if there is deflection or bounce?

O

On one

Just a thought......the squeaking could be the ring nails rubbing against the plywood.
That said,it should be removed and replaced with cement or insulated boards,if you are going to tile the floor(It's not clear if you are having the floor tiled)

Reaction score
Sort out floor boards first and then overboard with 6mm No more ply if you plan to tile it.... also are they going to tank the walls before tiling?....they should.

Reply to Solution To tile floor issues in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks