Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sockets on split face tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have always recessed the tile so the socket sits flush with the thinnest part of the tile - thought that would be common practice?
Haven’t done it with porcelain only slate but the process would be the same.
Mark around your socket and remove as much material as you need so it sits nicely..

I

Italy

Yeah meant just for trimming down a little main cuts would be grinder but just to plunge cut the small recess.
Was just a thought.
yes, I usually do
first I try the flat tiles, then
if necessary use the grinder to grind
those that bother plaque.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I have always recessed the tile so the socket sits flush with the thinnest part of the tile - thought that would be common practice?
Haven’t done it with porcelain only slate but the process would be the same.
Mark around your socket and remove as much material as you need so it sits nicely..
Thanks how do you remove the material to get a nice right angle for the sockets? What tools used?

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Always managed with a grinder you just have to attack from a few different angles.
Thank you, I'm going to be purchasing a new grinder and blades, I was going to go with the Bosch variable speed grinder and these blades. Are these blades ok or would you get other blades for the grinding/sinking cuts?

D

Dumbo

Thank you, I'm going to be purchasing a new grinder and blades, I was going to go with the Bosch variable speed grinder and these blades. Are these blades ok or would you get other blades for the grinding/sinking cuts?
Be aware when you run a grinder at lower speeds you get more torque hence the blade may grip more and cause it to catch and then you may skid the blade over the tile . I don't know the science but Jeremy Clarkson could explain it but i dont think he is an active member

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Be aware when you run a grinder at lower speeds you get more torque hence the blade may grip more and cause it to catch and then you may skid the blade over the tile . I don't know the science but Jeremy Clarkson could explain it but i dont think he is an active member
So do you think a normal grinder would suit for DIY then, or get the variable speed so can do everything with the same tool.

D

Dumbo

You only really need a variable speed grinder for doing things like polishing with diamond or carborundum discs .
I have also used mine for slowing down a core drill and floor grinding .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do don’t think it will be too hard, just be patient, slso with being porcelain and not natural , they won’t be to bad to keep clean compared to stone splitface

MalcyB

TF
Reaction score
I put a spacer behind the socket/ FCU and cut the tile to that.
Like this.

DSC_1454.JPG

DSC_1455.JPG

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Like this.

View attachment 105090

View attachment 105091

Like this.

View attachment 105090

View attachment 105091
Thanks for that, what size spacer did you use?
Did you grout between all the tiles? Just asking as I head ready some people hadn't grouted the tiles and just butted them close together.
Also wondered if you found it hard to grout due to different heights and textured face of the tiles?
Thanks.

Reply to Sockets on split face tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock