Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sockets on split face tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, I am going to be tile a splash back on our kitchen.
We have found tiles that we like the look of, they are Wickes split face porcelain tiles which by the things I have read could be hassle.
These are the tiles:
A thought I just had was how you would get a socket to fit on these and look proper?
If fitting round into the window frame would you use corner trim or mitre the back off and try match them up? Know this could be a pain trim could be easier.
Or am I best returning these and keep looking for another time?
Thanks.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
So for the sake of information and expanding my knowledge how would you go about setting the sockets in correctly?

And also if you were going round a corner into a window would you try and continue the pattern?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
All you could do is go behind the socket face plate as you would using any other tile, but the socket won't sit flat due to the uneven tile, so you would silicone around it to seal it.......looks pants imo...
Always continue the bond with any tile...

T

Tile Shop

Desperately trying to find a picture, from a customer we had a while back. Feature wall with sockets in. We were never told exactly how it was done, only saw the finished wall. But it appeared to me as if the tiler sorted the tiles based on the flattest of the relatively same thickness he could find, cut the tiles to size to fit the socket screws in and routered the top edge slightly so that the faceplate partially sat into the tile.

Will keep digging.

D

Dumbo

As @Paul C. To get anywhere near decent partially cut in faceplate and also use a bucket of silicone . But yes good luck keeping it clean

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Are there multitool blades that could cut into the tiles?
And allow to cut a few mil recess for the socket to sit?

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Yeah meant just for trimming down a little main cuts would be grinder but just to plunge cut the small recess.
Was just a thought.

Reply to Sockets on split face tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock