Discuss So what is your goto smoothing compound in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Im curious to know what every tilers goto levelling (smoothing ) compound is to get a floor in your eyes perfect for the job.

If you need that glass smooth flat/ level finish what product do you guys use and why?

My interest is purely that, as an experienced floorlayer my company is always screeding floors ready for timber/ Karndean/ Amtico etc and we have our goto products. As I’m doing more and more tiling work myself just thought I’d ask.

From posts I’ve read it seems a lot are fans of tilemaster Level IT mainly for value.

B

Bill

Tilemaster fine flow 3000 for concrete/cement based subfloors

Tilemaster levelflex for timber subfloors.

I have used Mapei renovation screed too which is good.

T

Tommythetiler80

Tilemaster levelFlex for deep pours
Tilemaster rapid level 30 for impatient people

Reaction score
I think anything with fibres is good. As a vinyl layer you just put 3mm down whereas we tilers level ?

Is that right?

Nah I know what you mean a lot of floorlayers do only put 3mm down bare minimum but we tend to be putting at least 5mm down if the floor isn’t good.

With vinyl its mainly needs to be smooth as vinyl will lose some unevensss providing its not horrific which does show through if prep not done very well.

Whereas tiling won’t of course. Interested in your statement of “we tilers level”

Getting a floor completely flat level and smooth isn’t easy for your average person and often to obtain that perfect floor through a compound the customer couldn’t afford the latex . Getting a floor flat and smooth is a different thing

D

Dumbo

Is that right?

Nah I know what you mean a lot of floorlayers do only put 3mm down bare minimum but we tend to be putting at least 5mm down if the floor isn’t good.

With vinyl its mainly needs to be smooth as vinyl will lose some unevensss providing its not horrific which does show through if prep not done very well.

Whereas tiling won’t of course. Interested in your statement of “we tilers level”

Getting a floor completely flat level and smooth isn’t easy for your average person and often to obtain that perfect floor through a compound the customer couldn’t afford the latex . Getting a floor flat and smooth is a different thing
Customer has to afford it . If you don' level it with levelling compound you have to do it with adhesive . Adhesive and levelling comp cost roughly the same and the same amount of volume is required so why struggle trying to pick it up on adhesive when you spend the same amount on materials if you can level it properly first

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dougs Third Go

tilemaster or weber for me, but the product is only as good as the person laying it. I make sure I push it all to the corners with a trowel then let it flow back, (in my experience, screeders always seem to have high points in the corners), then tamp it all as I work my way to an exit point,,,sounds a bit vague, but when you've done it for quite a few years (gulp) it's easier done than explained.

Reply to So what is your goto smoothing compound in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks