Discuss Smoothing material to flatten not level? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am preparing to tile a bathroom wooden floor in an old cottage. I need to alter the height of some small areas before laying insulating cement boards. If I were to level the floor it would raise the door threshold more than I want. So I'm aiming for a flat floor, not a horizontally level floor. I was planning to used tile cement adhesive as smoothing agent. Will this be OK or is there something else that I could use? I don't want something that will flow to a level.
Any advice gratefully received.

T

Tommcd

I'd use rapid set adhesive and bridge the low points with a feather edge or plasterers darby. Could use self leveller but it will set you back a day while it dries

F

Flintstone

Rapid leveller, tile after 1 hour. Don’t put too much down and mix it on the less watery side and it will be perfect

T

Tommcd

Sorry, slc wouldn't necessarily put you back a day, I had my wood flooring head on

O

One Day

Or if you want to really use adhesive, I'd suggest BAL stone & tile ptb. Can be used thick and up to 25mm depth.
I'd disagree with using rapid level 30 (if that's the one you're thinking of localtiler) it's brilliant stuff but also brilliant at flowing level, even with less water)

F

Flintstone

Depends how thick it’s needed, can be mixed thicker to stop it flowing so well. If your going thick like 10mm then it’s not gonna work

F

Flintstone

It’s very hard to use tile adhesive to get a good flat floor in my opinion.

Reaction score
If a pro says it's difficult to use tile adhesive, I'll think again.
How about some of the levelling compounds suggested above, if necessary used in in layers?

F

Flintstone

How uneven is this floor, any photos? If you pour levelling compound at one end of the room, it’s not gonna run to the other unless your pouring a real load of it.

D

Dumbo

Ardex feather finish. It's like filler bit pricey and don't know what maximum thickness is

Reaction score
Sadly I'm not at the location so a photo is not possible.
I estimate the maximum thickness is about 9mm.
I read that Ardex feather finish is not up to this depth.
If is was not a wooden floor ( to be covered with cement insulating board) I would put a mortar mix down and with straight edge timbers I would drag and tamp it to a flat finish.

F

Flintstone

If your sticking boards down with tile adhesive anyway just make good the worst areas and stick them down!

Reply to Smoothing material to flatten not level? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks