Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Tiling Work | Tiling Jobs - Tilers Required area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
I

Italy

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I do not understand, that tilers are these?
a serious tiler, he should call someone, to level the floor, if it is not capable !!!.
Instead, the client the delegation to level the floor.
Then, if there are problems ....., all wash their hands, like Pontius Pilate.
this trend is inconceivable for me.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

It is for most of us Antonio. From the start we would question why his Tilers didn't want to level it. Obviously not capable of doing the whole job and are just looking for excuses when they mess it up!

OP
C

CheshireChap

It is for most of us Antonio. From the start we would question why his Tilers didn't want to level it. Obviously not capable of doing the whole job and are just looking for excuses when they mess it up!

Or they were being honest enough to say it's too much for them? I much prefer this approach.

OP
U

Unused Account 1

Just the guy who was on the private site i was on actually made the floor almost level 1 to 2 mm ,but hehas been doing it 30 years lol,dont know what hes like after 6 mince pies lol

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

If you believe that then you should also be thinking that the tile is too much for them, or do you think that we as a finishing trade are superficial.

OP
U

Unused Account 1

Just shows how poor the original floors are on a lot of new builds ,your right though john

OP
C

CheshireChap

If you believe that then you should also be thinking that the tile is too much for them, or do you think that we as a finishing trade are superficial.

I've been to see the job they did for a well known sports club owner. He had 100m2 of 1 m2 tiles done, the exact same ones as we are having, albeit on a smaller scale!! It is absolutely faultless.

So many negative replies on here. All I did was ask for names of a company who could do it and a lot of you guys are ripping my Tiler's to shreads!

OP
O

One Day

I've worked exclusively for high-end domestic clients all over the north-west for over a decade, and i can't think of any company who i would be happy to recommend. The honest answer i would give you is that the tilers should WANT to level it personally.
If they know a firm that can do it for them, please let me have their details!

[/QUOTE]So many negative replies on here. All I did was ask for names of a company who could do it and a lot of you guys are ripping my Tiler's to shreads![/QUOTE]

OP
O

Old Mod

you guys are ripping my Tiler's to shreads!

Your tilers are not being ripped to shreads, their ability is being questioned, there's a difference.

You have come on to a professional tile forum, not Yell.

Whilst it's not unreasonable for you to believe that this would be the ideal place to source such a company, as you have found out, the practice of getting a separate company to level your floor first is deemed highly unusual by many professionals.

We have some of the best tile professionals in the country on here, and you've been talking to some of them.
So from our perspective, it seems a little odd, and from what I've read so far, I'd say these members were more looking out for you, rather than
"Ripping them to shreads" as you put it.
Whilst I could agree they could be construed as negative comments, in reality they're not. They're actually sound opinions, in the most part.

From my point of view, for what it's worth, it means one of two things;
1. That they're not capable of such a task, which isn't acceptable if they're being charged with laying extra large format tiles.
As a professional fitter of this type of product, you must be able to do the job from very start, to the very finish.
This is what allows you the privilege of charging special rates to undertake a project of this nature.

2. They just can't be bothered with the hassle and just want a fast buck.
This doesn't exactly install confidence either.
These materials incurr a high investment in to a home, and I'm sure you only want it doing once.
It would make me question their morals as professionals.
What sort of aftercare would you receive in the event of a problem?

You said earlier;
in the words of our tiler, done a good job with the screed. It's just not good enough for 1m2 tiles.
To be honest, if they appreciate to what standard your floor needs to be, I personally think it's a pretty safe bet that they should be more than capable of carrying out this task.
Unless of course they're on a tight schedule and that they're either using delaying tactics, or they're gonna try rush it in between two jobs, and they just want to take the cream!
I personally think none of those scenarios are acceptable.
But as always, it's only an opinion, and as we're all painfully aware, we all have one.

That notwithstanding, as John mentioned, this doesn't address the original post from CheshireChap,
And I'm sure by now he is very aware of our opinions,
So if any one can help with a suggestion,it'd be appreciated.

OP
C

CheshireChap

3_fall, thank you for the summary, I mean that sincerely.

I hadn't appreciated the connection between preparation and actual laying.

I'll start the search again, someone to do the whole job.

To the rest of the respondents, my thanks to you too.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you have seen the the work carried out at the owner of well known sports clubs property, and you say the work is perfect, either:-

a) The tiles were fixed by your tilers directly onto the floor that was already there, or
b) They had someone in to level the floor prior to fixing

I suspect it's the former, otherwise they could find out who levelled the floor prior to fixing.

I don't understand why they are avoiding carrying the task out from start to finish. If it was me I would want the prep as near as level as is humanly possible.

Last edited:
OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Nice post Marc and I agree with every word - it's just we read so many issues on here about 'tilers' who have done a shoddy job from customers and then you get an opportunity to advise and apparently it's all negative!
In this case the Tilers are the best thing since sliced bread yet they are not up to levelling a floor for 1m tiles!
In a nutshell no decent tiler would suggest getting another company in to prepare a substrate - unless they could have recommended someone - and the OP isn't going to take any of our advise.
As mentioned use Yell.com and see if the 2 trades guarantee each other's work.
Good luck Mr Chappie

OP
C

CheshireChap

Nice post Marc and I agree with every word - it's just we read so many issues on here about 'tilers' who have done a shoddy job from customers and then you get an opportunity to advise and apparently it's all negative!
In this case the Tilers are the best thing since sliced bread yet they are not up to levelling a floor for 1m tiles!
In a nutshell no decent tiler would suggest getting another company in to prepare a substrate - unless they could have recommended someone - and the OP isn't going to take any of our advise.
As mentioned use Yell.com and see if the 2 trades guarantee each other's work.
Good luck Mr Chappie
Mr Timeless Johnney, I presume you didn't read my reply else you wouldn't of written such a sarcastic reply.

Reply to SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Tiling Work | Tiling Jobs - Tilers Required area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock