Discuss Slate tiles - removal or tile over? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We want to replace our flooring in the cloakroom/powder room (which at the moment is slate). The builders installed the slate which runs throughout the entrance hall (photo attached), kitchen and downstairs cloakroom. Having found bits of tile in the garden ( in builders rubble - it's a new build!), we believe it must be around 12mm thick. This is also based on the levels when carpeting the living room which runs off the main entrance hall. At the moment we are deciding between at a porcelain tile which is just under 10mm thick and a Kerlite porcelain tile at just 3mm thick. We will be also tiling the walls with the corresponding tiles.

Is it better to remove the slate tiles or tile over the top? If remove what would be the best method of removing the slate please?

hall%20ikeaP1010028_zpsg0jvn94t.jpg

Last edited:
F

Flintstone

Hello,
It is always best to remove tiles if possible, what about height issues with the floor running into the hall ?
Is it a concrete floor or wooden

Reaction score
Hello,
It is always best to remove tiles if possible, what about height issues with the floor running into the hall ?
Is it a concrete floor or wooden

It's a concrete floor and we were looking at a Schluter type of metal threshold to deal with the different floor levels. Any recommendations would be most welcome! Something modern and metal.

How would you suggest we take up the slate? We tiled with it in a previous house and know how temperamental it can be!

We are trying for a 'high end' finish throughout this project:fearscream: is there an area on the forum showing the professional detailing (i.e. metal edge trim styles/aplications, types of silicone finishing etc)?

Oh and thank you so much for your help!

F

Flintstone

If you want a high end finish, Mrs mulberry, I would take up the skate and have the new tiles at the same level as the slate, your tiler should be able to do that no problem!

Reaction score
If you want a high end finish, Mrs mulberry, I would take up the skate and have the new tiles at the same level as the slate, your tiler should be able to do that no problem!

That sounds very sensible! We're (my husband and I) are DIY-ing this project so are thankful for your advice.

Oh and your 'Small marble shower room' is stunning - (how far away are you from Lincolnshire??!!!)!!!

Warmest wishes - Glenda

Reaction score
These are great suggestions thank you so much Matt, I love the minimal finish. Would you still advise using a silicone to fix the profiles in the corners of the room (for structural movement) or would grout suffice?

M

Matt Bott

the adhesive between the wall and tiles will hold the profiles you do not silicone these joints they are for movement joints, the tiles slot in each side and your done just grout the little gap between the rubber seal and tile I've linked a diagram below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Slate tiles - removal or tile over? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks