Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Slate Hearth - Porcelain tiles around in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I have set a 1200x900x25mm thick natural slate slab as a hearth which is going to be surrounded on 3 sides by 10mm thick x 600x600mm porcelain tiles. These are on a concrete floor and I previously made a 15-20mm recess in the concrete to allow the 25mm thick hearth to sit lower so that it will be flush with the tiles when they are laid. There will be a log burner sitting on the slate. My question is should I just allow for a 3-4mm grout joint around the slate where the tiles will meet it or should there be an expansion joint? Thanks

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think you have to have a hearth on top of the tiles don't you like this ? I could be wrong

IMG_6535.JPG IMG_6536.JPG

OP
L
Reaction score
I am after a seemless look. Concrete had no cracks, 150mm thick reinforced, down for 3 years. Primed with weber pr360 and set in weber set spf, basically as thats what i am using for the tiles

20161128_172722.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks good, like i said not sure if im right, and even if i am right i can't see it being a problem at all, and ofcoarse laws are made to be broken ;)

W

WetSaw

Hearth only needs to be inflammable and extend 300mm beyond the stove, doesn't have to be above surrounding flooring.
The HETAS website will have the correct spec if my memory is fading...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good man paul :)
One thing though , one rule which cannot be broken under any circumstances, is when wood burner is fitted and lit, you must sit in front of it with acold beer and admire your handy work :)

IMG_6303.JPG

Reply to Slate Hearth - Porcelain tiles around in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock