Discuss Slate - External - Procedure For Laying From The Soil Up? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

Ok.... so there is an area of hardcore over mud. Its going to be a patio area. Natural black slate 300x600. The tiler has laid approx 3-4 inches of cement and dropped the tiles on. They have not been cleaned or sealed (customer complaining they are not black enough), butt jointed so not going to be grouted, some tiles have even been laid upside down so you can see where the tiles have been gauged.

From the picture you can also see that there may be voids galore. with the way that has been bedded

Basically I want clarification because this is not a method of laying slate outside that I've ever heard of and think the fitter has made a complete mess.

I would tell them solid screed, left to sufficiently dry, clean tiles solid bed of Bal Stone & Tile PTB with back skimming, clean again, seal (2 coats), grout (minimum 6mm width as per BS) seal again. But they had a fitter who knew what he was doing so bought the tiles only....... and this is the result.

Verdict?

IMG_3154 (2).jpg

O

Old Mod

Ask @JulianSidney to post a couple of pics of the slate patio he's just finished, u can show your customer how it should look!

I don't think u need a verdict Paul, just a skip! :D

S

Spud

The method used is an acceptable method if done correctly the tiles need to be tapped with a hard wood stick any with voids will sound hollow , normally they can be made solid by slurry grouting , a bucket of water would be thrown over then slurry squeegeed over the tiles finds any voids and fill them , but if it is not being grouted then the tiles with voids will need to be reset , building regs now are that patios and driveways should be able to drain away water so you need to check your fixing spec whether ŷour install meets the drainage criteria

Reply to Slate - External - Procedure For Laying From The Soil Up? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks