Discuss Slate Colour Enhance / Seal in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

L

LizzieLee

Hello to everyone
I'm LizzieLee and I hope that some people here might be able to help me?!
I hand engrave new and used roofing slate - usually fairly small pieces.
As some of my work needs to go outside, I found that sealing it with Adseal Invisiseal worked great over the engraving - keeping it visible when wet without altering the slate colour and being very nose friendly ;)

My newest problem is that my source of fairly dark slate has run out and the local shops (and my local roofer) only seem to have fairly light slate - meaning my engraved lines don't really stand out very much :(
While I am on the lookout for darker slate I am also considering staining the slate without making it look wet.
Now I figure that penetrating enhancers might soak in too deep so my engraved lines might not show while surface ones might make it look artificial and might stop my rotary engraver burrs working properly? Also I would still like to seal the finished work if possible and the enhancer and sealer might react?!
I don't work on a large scale but I would love to expand my hobby slowly. The lack of obtaining a few really dark roofing tiles at a time ( especially ones that don't shatter when I hand cut them) is so frustrating. Also I just haven't got the money to buy lots of different products to buy and the time when companies send out samples to someone like me is certainly in the past! :(

Any ideas or suggestion would be really appreciated as I am coming to a stand-still with my work.
I have attached a couple of pieces of my work just to show what I do.

Thanks a lot, LizzieLee
DSCF4578.JPG DSCF4583.JPG DSCF4524.JPG

OP
Q

Qwerty

Welcome & wow!...Lovely work!

Some colour enhancing sealers may be suitable if wiped on then off fairly quickly. They contain silicone which will darken/ enhance the slate. Try a few offcut to see what results you get.

OP
L

LizzieLee

Thank you! Any suggestions of products as I have only used adseal ? And which sealant would I be able to use over the top?

Reaction score
Lithofin Stain stop Plus is an enhancer and impregnating sealant in one. Need to use sparingly so you don't end up with gloss patches. Try @Lithofin BOB for his products. We have used them for years with no problems. Good Luck!

OP
T

Tile Shop

Stay clear of anything Oil based. we tested Stone Oil and Linseed Oil on deep scratches and both blended them right in, made them invisible. Anything solvent or water based "should" be fine like the ones people have detailed above, but test them first. It would be hell of a shame to lose any of the lovely detail you've put in. Nice work :)

OP
L

LizzieLee

Stay clear of anything Oil based. we tested Stone Oil and Linseed Oil on deep scratches and both blended them right in, made them invisible. Anything solvent or water based "should" be fine like the ones people have detailed above, but test them first. It would be hell of a shame to lose any of the lovely detail you've put in. Nice work :)
Thanks Paul, I have oiled slate very lightly before engraving, then washed it before sealing but even though it slightly darkens the slate, it needs to be washed so well before sealing that it hardly shows.
I am very worried that most enhancers penetrate too deep.

OP
F

Flintstone

Lovely work Liz. As said above lithofin stain stop plus is a good enhancer and sealer. Perhaps seal first then engrave so your your sealing into the bits you gave engraved ?

OP
T

Tile Shop

Thanks Paul, I have oiled slate very lightly before engraving, then washed it before sealing but even though it slightly darkens the slate, it needs to be washed so well before sealing that it hardly shows.
I am very worried that most enhancers penetrate too deep.

I see your point but don't think you need to worry. After sealing first, with either with Oil or a Clear Synthetic sealer, later scratches on slate will still show up much lighter as will engraving as the hardened sealer is also being agitated. Its only when sealing after engraving that there is a chance the colour will alter. Clear sealers should leave the engraving that much lighter shade. but the oils darken it beyond recognition.

Its a common problem with honed slate. Sneeze on it an it will scratch. Awful stuff! So needed to find a solution to blend it in. After using the LTP Mattstone (both the solvent and the H2O) and their Colour Intensifier to seal first, as well as after deliberately damaging the tile, the scratches were still just as bold as before they were treated. The Stone oil and Linseed were the only ones that made it disappear.

But different slates may react in different ways, hence why you need to test a few pieces first.

OP
L

LizzieLee

Lovely work Liz. As said above lithofin stain stop plus is a good enhancer and sealer. Perhaps seal first then engrave so your your sealing into the bits you gave engraved ?
Will try and contact Lithofinbob for advice. The sealer over the top would have to be invisible and not react. The only other option would be to make them suitable for indoor use only, eliminating the need to seal the engraved lines until I find dark slate.

OP
L

LizzieLee

I see your point but don't think you need to worry. After sealing first, with either with Oil or a Clear Synthetic sealer, later scratches on slate will still show up much lighter as will engraving as the hardened sealer is also being agitated. Its only when sealing after engraving that there is a chance the colour will alter. Clear sealers should leave the engraving that much lighter shade. but the oils darken it beyond recognition.

Its a common problem with honed slate. Sneeze on it an it will scratch. Awful stuff! So needed to find a solution to blend it in. After using the LTP Mattstone (both the solvent and the H2O) and their Colour Intensifier to seal first, as well as after deliberately damaging the tile, the scratches were still just as bold as before they were treated. The Stone oil and Linseed were the only ones that made it disappear.

But different slates may react in different ways, hence why you need to test a few pieces first.
Thanks, that's really helpful info. I just haven't got the money to order lots of products at £20-30 a bottle so am trying to narrow it down ☺.

OP
D

Dumbo

I know @Lithofin BOB will give the definitive answer but my thoughts are lithofin colour intensifier prior to engraving and then to seal and weatherproof lithofin mn stainstop . These products will not react to each other as I have done this on slate myself .

OP
L

LizzieLee

I know @Lithofin BOB will give the definitive answer but my thoughts are lithofin colour intensifier prior to engraving and then to seal and weatherproof lithofin mn stainstop . These products will not react to each other as I have done this on slate myself .
Thanks, that's great to hear. Sounds like the way to go?!

Reaction score
@LizzieLee the stain stop plus is the colour intensifier and stain stop combined into one. It is very difficult to remove if you don't like the finish, but should provide the look you want for a lot less money and save on buying two products!

OP
L

LizzieLee

@LizzieLee the stain stop plus is the colour intensifier and stain stop combined into one. It is very difficult to remove if you don't like the finish, but should provide the look you want for a lot less money and save on buying two products!
Thanks, I think it depends on wether engraving into the stainstop is going to remove too much of it to still be water proof or if it might clog up my engraver burrs.

OP
D

Dumbo

If you remove enough if the stone to get a lighter colour I doubt it would still be waterproof that is why you should use colour intensifier first to darken stone before engraving then mn stainstop which is a clear impregnating sealer and shouldn't alter the colour of the stone very much or maybe not at all to weatherproof . Don't be tempted to go for hg sealers which are fairly easy to get hold of because the are more viscous than lithofin products there for I think more likely to block your cutters .

Reaction score
Thanks, I think it depends on wether engraving into the stainstop is going to remove too much of it to still be water proof or if it might clog up my engraver burrs.

It is very very thin, I doubt it would clog up the engraver burrs. I think it will be a case of test as you go. It is possibly worth finding a local stockist of lithofin to see if they have open bottles you can try? I know it is something we have done if someone popped into one of our branches to help out as rather you got it right and we have them open to use on display material!

OP
L

LizzieLee

It is very very thin, I doubt it would clog up the engraver burrs. I think it will be a case of test as you go. It is possibly worth finding a local stockist of lithofin to see if they have open bottles you can try? I know it is something we have done if someone popped into one of our branches to help out as rather you got it right and we have them open to use on display material!
Sounds great, might have a ring around, great advice ☺

Reply to Slate Colour Enhance / Seal in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer