Discuss Skimming Kerdi board in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RachelGillings

has anybody plastered 12.5mm kerdiboard? We have a small section in our bathroom that will not be tiled and it's easier extending the Kerdi rather than putting hardibacker up in its place. Also has anybody used a c2 s2 to attach it to a good plastered wall.

Thanks

Rach

Reaction score
has anybody plastered 12.5mm kerdiboard? We have a small section in our bathroom that will not be tiled and it's easier extending the Kerdi rather than putting hardibacker up in its place. Also has anybody used a c2 s2 to attach it to a good plastered wall.

Thanks

Rach

Hi Rach,

Our technical datasheets advise it can be done, but there are certain criteria to be aware of as it may not be suitable in all instances. I would suggest giving our technical department a call or email so that they can evaluate the feasibility. [email protected] or 01530 813 396.

Best regards,

Georgia

R

RachelGillings

I have spoken to kerdi, they recommend against it as the plaster will break if knocked as the board is flexible.

My next question is what is a suitsble board that can be easily skimmed and is 12.5mm thick and mechanically be fixed to the solid block wall above the kerdi. I mentioed hardibacker but not sure?

R

RachelGillings

I have just spoken to gypsum who were useless. They told me it cant be done!

How can i mechanically attach the board to the wall?

R

RachelGillings

Maybe marmox multibord? It can be plastered and stuck to a wall using c2 and mechanical fixings? Bit overkill for plastering on granted. Any thoughts?

S

Spare Tool

Just dot and dab 12.5 M/R plasterboard using drywall adhesive, once adhesive set drill through board and into wall with a 7mm masonary bit, knock a brown plug through into wall then drive in a 70mm screw with an insulation board washer on.. How I prep almost every solid wall. Skim it or tile straight on it..oh 12 fixings per board

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Blunt Tool

I’ve skimmed over Jackoboard insulation tile boards no problem. Prime then mix multi finish plaster with some Weber ad250 admixture which makes it more flexible but takes a bit longer to go off. As long as you have fixed the boards well ie fixings every 300mm no probs

Reaction score
Why not just dot and dab, after all, this is how most houses are built now so we regularly tile onto dot and dab, never heard of the plasterboard coming off!

O

One Day

If you dot and dab the Kerdi board to stop it flexing, and then use mechanicals, it will be fine to skim.
The issue is when it is between studs or left to flex and the plaster skim will simply crack.

Reply to Skimming Kerdi board in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks