Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

3. Trade Tiler for Tiling Tools

Before you post a new thread about manual tile cutters and which one to get, checkout the existing Manual Tile Cutter Threads.

Discuss Sigma Manual Tile Cutters in the Tiling Tools Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Sigma needs a laser line...

• Like Like x 1
  2. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Yeah but then they wouldn’t be indestructible and would need a case. :D

3. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

You can make your own style of continuous line for the Sigma.

If indoors and slightly dim lighting....... hang a torch/portable light source above the cutter and angle it to cast a shadow from the bottom of the slide bar onto the breaker bar and use the shadow as your cutting line. (or if your room has overhead downlighters move the cutter to do the same thing)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I don’t tend to fix tiles by torchlight, I generally try to use a site light, LED if I can. :D
    But I do agree with Tom, casting a shadow does work very well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I think with a bit of practise I’ll be able to throw a tile in with two pencil marks and just cut. I’ve mainly been measuring the cuts and using the measuring bar which works really well. You get the feel of how much of a rake cut you need just by moving a tile away from the fence a fraction. I suppose this is where the skill of using a cutter comes in, you just know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Candlelight oop here in the grim North......

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I suppose there’s no reason why you couldn’t ping your laser line down onto the cutter and line up the cutter with the laser line other than it being an utterly ridiculous idea:tearsofjoy:

8. Bopster

Bopster Active Member

Great tips lads
    I’ll be getting my new sigma out it’s box this morning and practicing on some porc
    Is it sad I’m a little excited to use a new tool lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

900 and smaller cutters (not the tiny ones) can be carried on your shoulder by using the handle with the cutter behind you. Allows you to carry a load more gear in one hit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

If you quote one person its plagiarism if you quote lots of people its called research

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. pdc

pdc Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. pdc

I've used Lee Macs idea of using the shadow from the bar to cut. Just don't try it outside in the sun ( he's never had that problem being in NI..)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

As a @Localtiler@Localtiler said in a previous post about this be carefull or your cut can be 1/4 of an hour out .

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. pdc

More like 1/2 hour the speed I work at!

15. 3_fall

You must have been beside yourself this morning Paul @pdc@pdc wth all this material to go at! :p

• Funny Funny x 1