Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sigma 12E XL 245cm cutter, first impression & trial. in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
L

LM

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I’m sure you’re right Lee, going to try over the next few days to see what we can achieve, and hopefully in a few different ways.
Let’s see........ :)
I haven’t had the pleasure of working with that machine yet Marc but I’m sure the principles are the same.
Great post by the way :thumbsup:

OP
D

Dumbo

This is very interesting and informative and it makes me wonder wether the forum should approach tile tool manufacturers and let it be known that certain members would do a real world test with new products and right a review about the test . Certain members are well known to certain reps and we have some members that are intelligent and articulate enough to give them a fair try and also right a good review as has been shown in this thread .

OP
I

Italy

This is very interesting and informative and it makes me wonder wether the forum should approach tile tool manufacturers and let it be known that certain members would do a real world test with new products and right a review about the test . Certain members are well known to certain reps and we have some members that are intelligent and articulate enough to give them a fair try and also right a good review as has been shown in this thread .
it will never happen, too many interests at stake....
only one brand can possibly happen, but 2 or 3 brands together in the forum, it will never happen

OP
D

Dumbo

it will never happen, too many interests at stake....
only one brand can possibly happen, but 2 or 3 brands together in the forum, it will never happen
If somebody was confident about their product working they would put it up for test . I am not talking about any affiliations between forum and manufacturer .

OP
I

Italy

If somebody was confident about their product working they would put it up for test . I am not talking about any affiliations between forum and manufacturer .
any brand would never give you a tile cutter to test in a forum. because all brands have at least one flaw and you should also use the same tile with each test. you can only do it between us, without the involvement of the various brands.....
the same problem is with the blades, it is a minefield.

OP
I

Italy

It’s never been specifically explained to me the reason for the side arms being short in height so this is only my thinking as to why a company that thinks things through so well have designed the side arms on the cutters as they have. When you score a tile you need to have some space for the adjoining cuts to fall into so that gravity is able to do its bit in the breaking of the tiles. We often have our machines resting on surfaces that aren’t necessarily perfectly flat with that in mind the space below the extended side arm allows for tollerance with this issue. We can place a pice of off cut etc under a side arm to adjust its height if nescessary or not what ever that lay if the land dictates. In all my years of using Sigma tile cutters this is how I’ve thought of this and it works for me. Someone may well come along with an official explanation that dismiss my thinking on it but that’s how I see it and it works for me. Every day is a school day for me so I’ll gladly take onboard any other reasoning for it.
all brands have lower arms,
I thought they were lower for gravity
as you say and because they only serve not to drop
the tile on the floor, risking to break it.
make a cut with your arms too high at the moment
of the crack the risk of chips is very high.
and the length is determined by the size of the tile cutter,
if they weren't long at the time of the break,
the tile would still fall to the ground.
it's just things I thought, I might have thought wrong.

OP
O

Old Mod

So experimented a little more today, and making sure the piece you want to keep is sat perfectly flat on the cutter bed, definitely achieves a higher success rate when removing smaller strips from a full slab, especially when they weigh a large amount.
These weigh 35kgs each, bloody heavy.
So @JulianSidney today the smallest cut achieved from a full piece was 30mm, and quite comfortably too. Funnily enough 25mm was tried twice and we failed dismally.
As I mentioned last night I thought the easiest of small cuts would be half the width of the breaker foot, in fact it appeared to be so.
The foot is 100mm in width, 50mm Cut was very easily achieved.
Both from full sized pieces.

BDA056F6-A213-412F-8BCC-AC37D05831F2.jpeg CC341718-0FA2-4C74-8E9C-DC2291AC0EA1.jpeg

OP
W

Waluigi

That’s an impressive cut. 35kgs- that’s about the same weight as a 1m x 2m x 8mm shower screen. I’d hate to be moving them around horizontally

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sigma 12E XL 245cm cutter, first impression & trial. in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock