Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Shower wall. Plaster on brick. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

Slowly getting round to preparing a new shower cubicle and the question I've asked myself is what to do with one of the cubicle walls that currently has a pretty thin layer of plaster over brick?

Originally the wall was paintend and I have a feeling I should have ripped the plaster off there and then but I spent/wasted a lot of time sanding that paint off. The problem is that if I take the plaster off and dob/dab a new suitable wall such as 12mm cement board or 12mm propriatory shower board I'm not sure I'll have enough space in the cubicle once tiled.

I haven't bought the tiles yet, so could chose some thin ones meeting the requirements of plaster (my original idea) but just wondering is there something better? Maybe overboard with 6mm cement board glued and fixed to the brick with wall plugs (sounds like a lot of work though!).

Any thoughts much appreciated. I'm an amateur as hopefully my name on here suggests.

W

Waluigi

The important thing with all shower enclosures is the minimum/maximum compensation of the wall profiles- sometimes it’s easy to work out especially if the screen is in a niche, other times it can be a challenge (quadrant enclosures)

I don’t see a problem with 6mm cement board glued and screwed personally although I’d use a proper rigid board like Hardiebacker or Aquapanel and trowel the whole wall, don’t just dot https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on.

As mentioned already- ideally the tray should butt up against your walls, this voids any worry of the enclosure not fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T
Reaction score
Right, so firstly thanks for comments above.

I've just measured the existing plaster off the wall and its only 8mm deep where I measured from. If I get it off and put a 12mm board there, I'm just wondering how many mils am I likely to lose? I mean would the new board plus https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ go up to 20mm thick? That would be pretty tight to then get the tray in (its a 3 wall alcove) but hard to know until I actually do it.
Other option I suppose is to put board in on top of tray.
Or go back to plan A which is just to tank existing plaster and use light tiles.

W

Waluigi

You will easily get to 20mm if you bond some 12mm board on.

Sounds like some ceramic tiles might be appropriate here.

There must be countless jobs which have exceeded the weight limit of plaster though..... sometimes it’s a judgement call

Reply to Shower wall. Plaster on brick. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock