Discuss Shower Tray Riser kit install in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

bolts

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing an en-suite at the moment and will need to install the shower tray which comes with a riser kit. Now normally these things are much like bath feet and have holes in to screw them into the base of the shower tray (or wooden support)and screw the bottom of the feet to the floor.
This one has plastic feet with sticky pads to attach them to the base of the tray and no holes to screw into the floor.
The feet are actually simular at the bottom to those you get on kitchen cupboards. I have seen simular feet to this but they were the screw in type.
So firstly would you trust the sticky pads and assume that the downforce of the tray and anyone in it will keep them firmly atttached to the tray ?
then more importantly, how would you fix the tray so it cannot move without screwing it into the floor?
FYI, shower tray is stone and the riser kit is like this:
(Victoria Plumb) going onto a boarded floor.
Orchard Riser kit for rectangle and square stone shower trays 1400mm and over - https://victoriaplum.com/product/orchard-riser-kit-for-rectangle-and-square-stone-shower-trays-1400mm-and-over

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Those sticky pad kits are super sticky and are fine to use. I usually mark where the feet will touch the floor and blob a bit of rapid set and bed the feet into it too.

B

Blunt Tool

I don't like that flimsy leg things! Prefer to frame out with wood that is glued and screwed to floor, then tray secured onto frame with flexi adhesive.

bolts

TF
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll go with the sticky pads and a bit of quick set under the feet.

Yes I was thinking a wooden frame might be an option but seems ok so I'll go with it.

J

JohnMar79

Did customer specify this? Stone trays and riser leg kits do not mix in my experience and must be battened around the edges to the wall as the main support with the legs only acting as additional centre support. As mentioned above if you're going to quick set to aid make sure surface is primed if it's a chipboard floor before laying down rapid set. Otherwise why don't you drill holes yourself in the base of the legs and screw down?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
These kits are supplied by the tray manufacturers. and to maintain any form of guarantee you should fit following their instructions.

bolts

TF
Reaction score
Hi
Yes it is supplied by the manufacturer and I have followed the instructions. The instructions didn't say anything about attaching to the floor. Which is why I asked for suggestions.

All looks good though. The base was marked with the position to fix the pads so in this case they must be designed to go with a stone tray.

Thanks for the advice.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Stone trays have no flex in them but if they're is any flex in the floor then battens are a good idea - better idea is to re-enforce the floor. Done many ripouts where the tray seal has repeatedly failed because of insufficient support under the tray.

bolts

TF
Reaction score
Yes I was thinking that battens would be a good idea as they will hold it much better that just sticking the feet to the floor. I will use battens to hold it in place and the feet to just support the weight across the rest of the tray.

Reaction score
Installed lots of stone resin trays ( often mx elements) with stick on feet without any problems..try to avoid putting any pressure on the feet during the install...dragging/tilting tray. Level the tray and set the height for the plinth from the finished floor. Seal the edges of the tray back to the substrate with a good quality clear adhesive and leave it to cure.
The plinth kits often come with velcro arms and sticky pads to secure the plinth. The adjustable arms screw to the sticky base plates that adhere to the bottom of the tray. Make sure you orientate the plates when you stick them or the arms won't fit properly

Reply to Shower Tray Riser kit install in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks