Discuss Shower surround substrate in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Can the tanking take the place of the Hardie tape and adhesive?

Ie skip that stage?

What is my best way forward with this? The 2 stages combined?

W

Waluigi

For me personally I’d use the alkaline tape and tile adhesive. This adds a bit more strength as there are no noggins placed horizontally between your HB boards.

I’d Really push the adhesive in too.

Then I’d probably just run my tanking tape in the internal corner abutment.

Up to you whether you tape and tank the HB joints too. Be wary of ridging

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
So the joints would be done to Hardie instructions and the just the tank painted over.

The tanking tape would only be used in the corners edges?

What is ridging? (Sorry!!)

W

Waluigi

Yes that’s correct. Ridging being a ridge built up on the joints if you tape them and then tank and tape them. For example, mosaics wouldn’t look great on that wall as you’d see a ridge!

Reaction score
Ah I understand now!I think ill go with the tape n addy the Hardie joints n tank over but no tape and tape the edges!

Thanks for your help, it is really appreaciated

Reaction score
When u say prime before hand whatever u do, I assume u mean the tanking primer?

The tape n addy joints don't need primed? As far as I am aware Hardie backer does not need primed?

W

Waluigi

Prime everything. Hardiebacker will definitely need priming despite what the instructions say. Let me guess- are you using the Mapei kit?

Reaction score
Is it a decent one to use? I can get Mapei in my local screwfix which is handy to me.

https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484

How's that sound?

Reply to Shower surround substrate in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks