Discuss Should I Be Useing Hardiebacker? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
Guys n gals

Have been asked to tile a 1st floor room with 900x150 porcelain wood effect tiles.
The sub floor is new floor boards as it is part of an extension which seem very solid with no noticeable deflection.
I am intending on laying 6mm Hardiebacker boards prior to tiling. Is this the recommended process and do these need to go down on a bed of flexi adhesive?

Thanks in advance

O

Old Mod

Hey @Lakey,
I've changed the thread title so that your question is more relevant.
It was a little confusing.

Using Hardie will suit your purpose just fine.
And using a flexible adhesive for both the Hardie and tiles would be the right way to go imo.

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
@3_fall is there a specific tile levelling brand/system you would recommend.
Don't think they would be applicable to the tiles described above but keen to give them ago on some larger format porcelains.

O

Old Mod

@3_fall is there a specific tile levelling brand/system you would recommend.
Don't think they would be applicable to the tiles described above but keen to give them ago on some larger format porcelains.

Well they work very well on planks I think,
But u need to check them for bowing.
It may well state on the packaging what break of bond they recommend for their tile, a lot do now, with planks.
Personally I prefer Rubi, but most others prefer Raimondi.

Reaction score
I use the lash levelling system - even cheaper and you dont need a special tool ! However I did take a look at the Rubi system and would like to try it eventually, but I will probably wait until I get a nice big job!

O

On one

Hey @Lakey,
I've changed the thread title so that your question is more relevant.
It was a little confusing.

Using Hardie will suit your purpose just fine.
And using a flexible adhesive for both the Hardie and tiles would be the right way to go imo.
Hardie say that only a non flexible adh is required and that is only required where the floorboards require gap filling,so even the adh may not be required in this case if the floorboards are new(and flat)

J

J Sid

That's cos ur a tight wad! Hahaha

But how d'u know ur a Raimondi fan if u haven't tried the Rubi? Hehe:rolleyes:
Haha did want to give them a go but couldn't find anywhere that did them by the 1000 or 2000. Only found starter sort packs and cost alot. :( maybe was looking are enough.
What you pay for 2000?

O

Old Mod

Hardie say that only a non flexible adh is required and that is only required where the floorboards require gap filling,so even the adh may not be required in this case if the floorboards are new(and flat)
@Lakey the screws do the fixing for the hardie board not the adhesive, its just there to fill voids between wood floor and hardie board.

D'u know everyone knows I normally answer chapter and verse!.
So there's me trying to make posts less longwinded and said that there was nothing wrong with his intentions, which there's not!

@JulianSidney, thought that as he intended to use addy then I didn't need to explain about the function of the screws :)

@wrighty, I know it recommends non flexible, however, I'll bet on vast majority of us feel that spf is a better way to go, cos it makes sense in our head!
And to be fair, floorboards new or not, how often are they flat enough to not need adhesive! :)

This is not me digging at u!
It's me digging at me! Haha

O

Old Mod

Haha did want to give them a go but couldn't find anywhere that did them by the 1000 or 2000. Only found starter sort packs and cost alot. :( maybe was looking are enough.
What you pay for 2000?
1000&2000? Wow where D'u find them Julian?
All I can find is 100,200&400!

Reply to Should I Be Useing Hardiebacker? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks