Discuss Settlement of Dispute - Any advice? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently posted another thread on the forum asking for advice on the quality of a tiling job that we had done in our bathroom.
Is this an acceptable edge cut? - http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/is-this-an-acceptable-edge-cut.84202/

The l-cuts around the window and alcove were extremely rough, the tiles are not flush in many places. They are also not in line in places, the grouting was poorly done, there are chips in the tiles that they have tried to paint to hide etc.
The price quoted was not cheap, and was on the upper end for the area in question.
We did actually raise issues as the job was being performed. They always tried to convince us that the job they did was the best that is possible, and that our expectations were the problem.
They refused to address the issues we raised, and told us that once the grouting was done, none of the issues that concerned us would be visible.

The general advice we got from the thread, from the photos we posted, was that we were justified in our expectations and that the quality was not acceptable.

We have now fallen into dispute with the company. We have told them we are not prepared to pay the full amount quoted, as the work was not performed with reasonable care and skill, and that the price is not reasonable considering the quality.
They refuse to accept this still, so in the end, in order to try to end the stalemate fairly, we offered to meet them half way, and pay half the amount quoted. Therefore we each suffer equal loses.
They still refuse to budge.
Is it fair to offer only half, or should we expect to pay more?

We don't really know where to go from here, or where we stand on a legal front.
Citizen's advice tells us we need to get an independent third party assessment from a qualified tiler. But is this correct advice? Would this actually be admissible?
I know the tile trade association does assessments, but they seem to be extremely expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of disputes that reach a stalemate like this, and does anyone have any advice what we should do?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like you will need to find a professional tiler willing to get involved. Make an assessment of what remedial works are required, and put a price on it. Put this to the company, if they are unwilling to do the said works. You will have the works carried out to the required standards by others . And deduct the cost from there bill. ( l think you are quite within your rights to go down this road). All the best, with your endeavours. ( and stick to your guns).

D

Dumbo

If the tta do this and are used to providing evidence to court wouldnt it be wise to do this and get their cost reimbursed by the other party . Also tell the other party your intentions just to make sure they don't want to change their mind .

O

One Day

I've produced written reports, with photographs and reference to BS5385 and Tile Association papers. Only done this twice - once for free out of sympathy and once I charged a fraction of the Tile Association's fee. Both times the customer submitted them to the company they were in dispute with and both times they got the outcome they wanted.
I know I am not classed as an industry expert, and it would be useless in court, but I do know how to write a good report and anyone googling me would find my reputation.
Look for a tiler in London with a very good reputation and ask them to do the same???

B

Blunt Tool

A well thought out thorough report done by a good reputable tiler is usually enough for a company to see sense and come to an agreement about payment without going thru courts. Be prepared to pay the tiler for his time and knowledge/experience.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As far I know is up to The Court to decide if need an expert report or the evidence provided(photos) is enough.If the court asks for expertise and you win the case you can ask refund of expertise.
For claim money back you must pay the invoice in full.You can't stop payment, and for claim something you must already pay for, you can't ask a refund if the service was not paid.
Have 3 quotes for remedial work.
Give him the opportunity to fix the issues in reasonable time scale and if the company refused, you can hire a tiler for fix the issues and send the invoice to the company.If the invoice not paid you can go with Claim Court.

Reaction score
Thank's everyone for your kind advice. It has been very helpful and we are very appreciative.
I will pop back and let you know the outcome.

T

Time's Ran Out

Ok - so are you actually called Bond, James Bond or is it a handle like timeless John ( who I happen to know is a very nice chap ).

Soso

TF
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently posted another thread on the forum asking for advice on the quality of a tiling job that we had done in our bathroom.
Is this an acceptable edge cut? - http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/is-this-an-acceptable-edge-cut.84202/

The l-cuts around the window and alcove were extremely rough, the tiles are not flush in many places. They are also not in line in places, the grouting was poorly done, there are chips in the tiles that they have tried to paint to hide etc.
The price quoted was not cheap, and was on the upper end for the area in question.
We did actually raise issues as the job was being performed. They always tried to convince us that the job they did was the best that is possible, and that our expectations were the problem.
They refused to address the issues we raised, and told us that once the grouting was done, none of the issues that concerned us would be visible.

The general advice we got from the thread, from the photos we posted, was that we were justified in our expectations and that the quality was not acceptable.

We have now fallen into dispute with the company. We have told them we are not prepared to pay the full amount quoted, as the work was not performed with reasonable care and skill, and that the price is not reasonable considering the quality.
They refuse to accept this still, so in the end, in order to try to end the stalemate fairly, we offered to meet them half way, and pay half the amount quoted. Therefore we each suffer equal loses.
They still refuse to budge.
Is it fair to offer only half, or should we expect to pay more?

We don't really know where to go from here, or where we stand on a legal front.
Citizen's advice tells us we need to get an independent third party assessment from a qualified tiler. But is this correct advice? Would this actually be admissible?
I know the tile trade association does assessments, but they seem to be extremely expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of disputes that reach a stalemate like this, and does anyone have any advice what we should do?

Any advice would be very much appreciated
We are in the exact same situation now with our tiler who has done a poor job. What was your outcome ? I agree the Tta assessment is indeed very expensive and I believe you will only get the costs back if the court authorised it in the first place. A bit of a catch 22 in my view !

It would be good to know what's happened in your case. We are at our wits end also trying to decide what to do next . It's headed for court I think but we don't know what to do about getting a report done.

Reaction score
Seeking guidance on a tiling job dispute. Despite valid concerns about the quality, the company refuses to budge on the quoted price. Is offering to pay half fair, or should we expect to pay more?

Reaction score
If the job is acceptable- pay the agreed price.
If it’s not acceptable- don’t pay anything until it is.
Price reduction is not a genuine solution.

Reply to Settlement of Dispute - Any advice? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks