Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

2. ismoat Building Products

Discuss Self levelling technique in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Slippery

Slippery Active Member

I have a small floor, around 6msq to level up before tiling. The customer has already poured some SLC but there are still hollows and mounds.
    Whats the best way of ensuring I get a nice smooth surface across the whole area?

2. Adey1980

Adey1980 Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I would pull up what customer has poured especially if it’s hollow.
    Give it a vac and prime the floor and use a good brand of slc

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheAofT

TheAofT Active Member

Agree with Adey if that's the case.
    If not and the floor isn't loose you may use long piece of timber or straight edge or even level will do the trick.
    But first you have to identify all problematic areas and mark them up.
    Obviously, we are talking about small areas under 10m2 with decent level in place.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Don’t skimp on the leveller, get a nice depth on

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Slippery

Slippery Active Member

Thanks for the replies, I have used a piece of upvc trim before now as a derby to smooth over bonding, was thinking i could use that.
    I think she did quite a good mix but didn't level it very well, I will give it a tap all over to make sure itr's stuck down well before I start.
    SBR for primer?

6. TheAofT

TheAofT Active Member

SBR or any acrylic primer will do the job:thumbsup:
    Good luck!

7. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

What is the substrate below the existing slc, timber, screed? If you can tell us this then the best advice as to how to proceed can be given. They options do vary depending on this.

8. Slippery

Slippery Active Member

Its concrete lee

9. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Assuming that you have the basic experience to understand what I’m about to say( and I say that with a smiley face)
    I’d want as much of the vulnerable existing slc as is reasonably practical removed, I’d then prime with a few coats which will aid with the levelling process as it slows down the rate at which the slc will loose fluidity due to it dehydrating because of the substrate absorbing the moisture from the mix and then that in turn will help the flow of the compound and in conjuction with the use of a spiked roller of relevant spike length, will help you achieve the best flat floor that you can reasonably expect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Once you’ve prepped it as above put some spot height around the floor with your level then pour!
    Make sure it can’t run away!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Balloo

Balloo Active Member

I use a close tooth garden rake to spread

• Funny Funny x 1