Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Self Levelling Compound Over Old Vinyl Adhesive in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. kiteboy

kiteboy Active Member

Hi all

Ive take up really old vinyl floor tiles that were here when we moved in (in the kitchen) - god knows how long theyve been there.

The tile came up ok but left a glue type substance on the the original tile underneath from when the house was built im guessing

I need to level the floor with a self leveler but not sure what would stick to this hard type glue - its impossible to get off really

We are then planning to tile directly on the levelled floor

I have had a look around of whats out there and it looks like the mapei latex 2 part stuff may do it but wanted to check if theres anything better out there really - we only have a very small utility type room to do and at most we need a depth of about 8mm at one end

Thanks for any advise - first post!

• Like Like x 1
  2. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum Kiteboy. :)

Remove as much of the old black adhesive as you can, by any means possible.
    If you have access to a variable speed grinder and grinding cup this will do it.
    Then you can use Arditex NA over the top.

Arditex NA

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. callatiler

callatiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Welcome, as above a very good bag and bottle rapid setting latex screed that does not require priming

• Like Like x 2
  4. JordanLincs

JordanLincs Active Member

Side question- Is the sticky substance underneath from bitumen? To my knowledge this is the adhesive used to lay vinyl tiles?

5. kiteboy

kiteboy Active Member

Not - sure its not black stuff - more of an old school brown glue type substance

6. Glynn

Glynn Company Support

Prime and Grip then Pro Flow.

• Agree Agree x 1