Discuss seal porcelain before grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I'm fitting some porcelain tiles that need sealing according to the box (wickes (customers choice))
Do these need to be sealed before grout to stop them getting stained, like stone or slate, or after?

Reaction score
Cheers John,
They are polished, do you mean the sealant makes them look greasy?
Would it be safer to seal them first then?

K

Kieks

I'm fitting some porcelain tiles that need sealing according to the box (wickes (customers choice))
Do these need to be sealed before grout to stop them getting stained, like stone or slate, or after?

I go before grout if it states to on the box. I got caught out when I first started out.

I had a 16 sqm kitchen floor that the client wanted in a chess board effect in 600/600 black and white polished porcelain tiles.

I tiled the floor and the customer was very happy. She decided to go with black grout, so I started grouting.

As I was washing down I kept seeing strange marks in the white tiles that would not wipe off. By the time I got to the end of the floor I realised what they were.

The were the word reebok from the sole of my trainers. Couldn’t get them out, it was a right mess.

Not only that but the tiles were no longer the lovely white, they were an off White now.

Looked at the box an it stated they needed to be sealed before grouting.

So be careful :D

T

Time's Ran Out

I did a white porcelain a few years ago and there were a lot of posts on here about sealing. I priced the job just to tile it, the customer to seal it, then I’d grout it! He did one room and decided it was too much hard work to polish the tiles back up after sealing. If you add a couple of days of tilers wages to clean a polished porcelain floor they often want to do it themselves. The tiles were 60x60 cm from B&Q at £11/metre and 65+mts. Only 1 tile was marked out of the whole batch. Jasmin joint though - no dark colours.

G

GoneGuy

If the box states to seal them, then give them a seal before grouting.
Usually the ones from wickes have a transit wax that need removing then because of this they need to be re sealed.
Also mention to the customer that they will have to re seal the tiles a few times over the life span of the tiles fitted

Reaction score
To be honest Wickes polished porcelain are more trouble than they're worth mostly, I have had trouble with strange marks under the glaze in the past which don't come out when you remove the transit wax, so I try and point customers to decent tile shops instead.

Reply to seal porcelain before grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks