• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Screed crack UFH - is there a problem? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Coopobot

Hello all.

I was hoping for some help with UFH issue. There seems to be many posts with similar issues but no answer fits all.

I have had builders round to do a lot of work at my house. Part of it was digging out the floor and laying a wet UFH system.

The room is approx 34sqM
Damp proof membrane
Layer of insullation - 100mm i think
A fast drying screed with fibre in it. Not sure on exact depth.

It was laid and drying for approx 2 weeks before the UFH was turned on. It has been pretty warm in the room aswell with the recent warm temperatures here. The builder and person who laid the screed assured me this was plenty of time for it to dry.

Since turning the UFH on, a few cracks have appeared. The builder insists this is normal
But after reading other threads im a little worried. Its only on at 24 degress C.

I was planning on raising it 1 C a day to 30 and then back down.

It does not sound hollow, and is not raised in any way.

Do these cracks need to be filled?
Can i tile over them with flexible adhesive / grout?

Do i need to worry about these cracks or is everything ok with them?

098E2A9B-6A0F-478E-A349-38C33D7FDAF7.jpeg A3F0F275-DA18-4FE0-957F-A06124355D04.jpeg 5DF287DB-F99D-471D-8A8F-79A77E1CF8CF.jpeg 4B3F03F4-1AB4-4445-A24D-837A2DE5E046.jpeg A29A4CB0-E7E2-4242-AE9A-39AB65ED08A9.jpeg

OP
F

Flintstone

Cracks are pretty normal, what is the screed?
I would fit dural durabase before tiling.

OP
C

Coopobot

I have been informed its a ‘Tarmac Truscreed’ which reduces the drying time as it has a higher cement content than normal screeds.

It is also ‘fibre reinforced’.

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
The Tarmac Technical Data Sheet states,

"NOTE: Do not use hot air blowers, underfloor heating, or other means of accelerating drying in the early life of the screed".

This may be why the screed cracked and why this thread is recommending the de-coupling mat.

Reply to Screed crack UFH - is there a problem? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer