Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Saying hello and looking for guidance with my diy bathroom project. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
S

slicker55

Hiya Julian,
Thank you for taking an interest in my project.
The drawings have been prepared using a program called 'Graphic' on my MacBook Pro.
Just to clarify, I haven't decided which way to go yet in relation to tackling the mixer issue (misaligment) - just interested to hear what others think would work best - what do you reckon?
Oh, you asked what happens if I was to start the first row with a full tile - good question - I did try that and it results in a 'sliver' immediately above the bath. It's all quite tight (so to speak)... cutting the first tile down just a bit to get rid of the 'sliver' above the bath introduces a 'sliver' under the shelf above the sink - aaaghhh. I really don't want a horizontal grout line between the top f the sink and the shelf above the sink so there's little scope for me to manoeuvre...

OP
S

slicker55

Thanks guys...

I'm referring to this as a shelf when it is in fact it is the reveal on top of a studded section which hides pipework etc...

I was thinking of making of making this more of a feature by having a wooden shelf fabricated by a company which uses some unusual materials. I quite like the look of Bamboo but haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

The timber they use comes standard (40mm depth) so maybe they could machine some of this out or alternatively make the shelf using two sections so that the front edge overhangs the grout line.

I'll have a word with them and see what they can suggest.

OP
S

slicker55

Hiya Julian,
Another practical suggestion which could come in handy on some jobs ... don't think this will help out on this occasion but thanks anyway. Not started any tile yet so still time to reconsider and will bear this in mind.

OP
S

slicker55

Pretty standard graphics package but I use it quite a bit to create artwork for some of my other hobbies.

OP
S

slicker55

.... today's dilemma!

Looking at options to tile around the window.

The tiles to the right of the window and above the window are dictated by other considerations.

Therefore, I am only trying to decide which is the better choice in relation to the tiles immediately to the left of the window:

Option 1

Pro's
Avoids a narrow cut to the left of the window

Con's
Tiles going into the corners of this wall (and the wall opposite) will only be approx 8cm wide

window wide.jpg

Option 2

Pro's
1. Tiles going into the corners of this wall (and the wall opposite) will be much wider (21cm )

A more even array of tiles horizontally above the bath.

Con's
A narrow cut (8cm) to the left of the window.

window slivers.jpg

Gentlemen, your opinions please...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Saying hello and looking for guidance with my diy bathroom project. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock