Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss REVIEW: Ashton School of Tiling & Plastering in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All

Just done 1 week plastering and 1 week tile course at Ashton School of tile and Plastering (Ashton, North West). These are the only courses they offer.

Before I did these courses I looked at others and also visited Construction Skills College in Stoke on Trent.

The main reason I chose Ashton was my budget.This also includes a bucket of tools for each course (tile: Bucket, 6mm notched trowel, bucket trowel, Tile nippers, tile scorer, tape measure. Plastering: Bucket, claw hammer, metal snips, hawk, bucket trowel, tape measure).

The place is run by Terry and his son Paul. They also run a local building/diy firm and opened these training courses about 12 months ago. They were getting plenty of trainees until government stopped giving grants out so now rely on trainees paying out of their own pocket. There was just myself and another guy on the tile course.

Both Terry and Paul are nice down to earth guys. They teach in an informal way, and are very open to questions, etc. The course is probably not as structured and 'professional' as some offered by longer standing training centres, and the building is a bit rundown. But they have the same work bays, rubi cutter, wet cutters, etc as the other centres have and thats what matters.

For the tile course you get your bay approx 1.2 m square, with a plain wall, a door wall, a window wall (with reveals, trimmed) and the floor to tile. And also another section where you can tile round various plug sockets etc. In 1 week I tiled the lot, inc sockets. As there was just 2 of us on the course, there was plenty of time to ask him about substrate prep, materials, etc.

I am now confident enough to tile my mums bathroom floor and walls and then set up on my own as a tiler. So, I'm happy with that.

The plastering course was similar bay with a plain wall, a window wall and ceiling. You have to board the walls (inc reveals, trimmed) and ceiling in plasterboard (1 wall fixed to wood frame, 1 solid wall for dot and dab technique) Then skim everything in plaster. Also artex the ceiling. We then knocked 6 big holes in my finished wall, which we then had to bond and re-skim to a nice,flat finish. After that I skimmed 5 walls to brush up my technique. Am also confident in basic plastering now, which i'm sure will be handy.

Cheers

Ant:thumbsup:

OP
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi ant, thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed your course, now get on with your mums bathroom, get some pics on here when finished. Remember I only live up the road from you, I might come and do a Clerk of works on you:lol: Anytime you want to call on my ongoing job, you are very welcome. Good luck with your new career:thumbsup:

OP
A

Ant

Thanks Phil

You'll have to come and see my mum's bathroom when its done. I tried to include pics on this review, but my pic files are too big (2.5mb). Anyone know the max size i need to get them to.

Cheers

Ant

OP
F

faithhealer

Thanks Phil

You'll have to come and see my mum's bathroom when its done. I tried to include pics on this review, but my pic files are too big (2.5mb). Anyone know the max size i need to get them to.

Cheers

Ant
no bigger than 2400x1200 and nice offer Phil

OP
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

PM Dan or Dave, they are very busy chaps, but very helpful. Mods may help you also.:thumbsup:

Reply to REVIEW: Ashton School of Tiling & Plastering in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock