Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Returning unused tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Is it unusual for a tile supplier not to accept unused tiles that are still in packing back for a refund?

I assumed all tile suppliers would do this, but it appears not to be the case...

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
From a suppliers perspective there are several reasons why returns can be refused or time limited.
1. If the tiles were special orders (the company does not stock them) then any returns to the supplier will generally not be returnable to their supplier. The tile outlet will have no chance of selling one or two boxes on so they will refuse the return.
2. If the supplier stocks them they will want to ensure that any returns match their current batch. A few boxes of odd batches are a suppliers worst nightmare. They are almost unsellable, and if they are accidentally sold then the customer ends up with two batches. Most suppliers will have a time limit for returns to give them half a chance of being able to sell them.

It is worth noting that some tile outlets are very generous with their returns policy. But be warned, this greatly increases the chances of odd batches being delivered if you buy tiles from them!

OP
R
Reaction score
Well it seems that Natural Stone and Timber (hampshire/dorset area) don't... Buyer beware.

So if anyone needs any Dural Durabase anti-fracture mat or tumbled opus travertine floor tiles, let me know...

T

Time's Ran Out

What quantities are you talking about?
Any pictures of the tiles.
Did you have a contractor fit the tiles or was it DIY.

D

Dumbo

Well it seems that Natural Stone and Timber (hampshire/dorset area) don't... Buyer beware.

So if anyone needs any Dural Durabase anti-fracture mat or tumbled opus travertine floor tiles, let me know...
What are their terms and conditions on their invoice / quote

T

Tile Shop

To be honest, its extremely unfair to name and shame a company for what seems like a fairly standard tile industry returns policy (which I guess you didn't inquire about at the time of purchase and just assumed otherwise?). By not allowing you to return these tiles has prevented a "potential" disaster for their next customer.

How many do you have and why do you have excess tiles? Were they ordered specially or supplied from stock? How long ago did you purchase them, when were they delivered, and where have they been stored whilst in your possession?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's only a box or two keep them just in case you move a radiator or have a couple of tiles break or something in the future.

Topps used to take all tiles back. But that was so if you needed one in the future you would go back to the store hoping to find one and then they'd sell you a new bathrooms worth of tiles because they sold them years ago. Clever really but not sure they do it anymore.

I doubt tumbled marble would have been stocked by the store so it's expected to get the quantities right.

Customers beware! It's industry standard as said.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Topps Tiles annoy me with this, they price their tiles per tile, when you buy them and add on 10-15% as normal, they sell you individual tiles to meet your order, but they refuse to take back opened boxes/individual tiles even with stocked tiles and the same batch as what’s on the shelf. :mad:

OP
R
Reaction score
Just to answer some of the questions, the tiles and matting were bought over the phone and paid for in advance. You only find out about their returns policy when you read the receipt.

It's not on their website or brouchures and was not mentioned at the time of order.

Other tile places I've bought from always say to bring back unopened stuff within 14 days, which is why I thought it was common practice to take back stock items.

The tiles are thier most common seller, so nothing wierd or difficult to sell.

Interestingly, they sell the matting in 30m, 10m and 5m rolls. I needed 32m so I got sold 35m. I didn't know that until I found I had a load left...

They say they don't take back part rolls but don't seem to understand that an 11m part of a 30m is a 10m roll plus a bit!

I bought the materials and my tiler laid it all.

We both assumed they would take back unopened tiles.

The unopened tiles have been stored indoors and I wanted to return them within 14 days.

Why is there material left over? Well the matting comes in 5m increments (I have since found out). Tiles are opus/roman bond and come in preset packs of 4 shapes. 1 600x400, 1 200x400, 2 200x200 and 2 400x400 so it's tricky to calculate down to the last tile.

To be honest, it's the matting that's annoying me the most. There's ÂŁ120 worth of it.

If 'naming and shaming' is forbidden, then feel free to delete the post. I think that Natural Stone & Timber should make their non return policy more obvious at the outset, especialy for a phone order and they should also tell you that if you want 31sq m of matting, you have to buy 35sq m of it.

If it is common practise not to accept anythnig back under any circumstances then fair enough...

D

Dumbo

You've mentioned 32 and 31 Sqm , are you telling us you paid 30 or 40 pound per Sqm for the matting depending wether 31 or 32 Sqm.

OP
R
Reaction score
You've mentioned 32 and 31 Sqm , are you telling us you paid 30 or 40 pound per Sqm for the matting depending wether 31 or 32 Sqm.

I bought 32sq m of tiles and asked for matting, they supplied 35sq m of matting for ÂŁ300 plus VAT.

I have 11sq m left.

Anyway, ebay & gumtree here we come!

D

Dumbo

I bought 32sq m of tiles and asked for matting, they supplied 35sq m of matting for ÂŁ300 plus VAT.

I have 11sq m left.

Anyway, ebay & gumtree here we come!
Not sure what happened there then .
Wether you didn't measure correctly or you didn't ask for right quantity to cover your floor .
How many packs you got left 5

Reply to Returning unused tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock