Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Returning unused tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
R
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
So you got 6m2 of mat for free and you've 2.96m2 of tiles left after a 30m2 job.
I'm struggling to see what problem you have with the tile shop. If you hadn't been lucky with the set out and needed to order more tiles only to be told they're a different batch what would you be saying then? What if some tiles broke while cutting? You'd be glad you had those spares then.

With other tile suppliers I have used, they always accept unused stuff back, as long as it's within 14 days and in packing.

That's the issue.

Laying a large area with a complex pattern, with tiles that come in set combinations 1x600x400,2x400x400,1x200x400,2x200x200, means working out, to the exact tile is going to be tricky.

Yes I have a spare tile or two. Fine.

Anyway that's neither here nor there.

Is is standard practice not to accept any unused materials within 14 days, unopened or not?

D

Dumbo

I ordered 32sqm of tiles and asked for matting too. Didn't ask for 32sqm of matting... they didn't mention that they only sell 5,10,30m rolls.

I arrive to collect tiles and matting. There are two rolls. One sealed 30m and one unsealed of unknown length but certainly looked like at least 5m. After finishing the job and thinking about taking unused section back (the remains of the 30m roll), I noticed the actual lengths they had billed me for, 30+5m.

So the unsealed roll must have been more than 5m. maybe it was a 10m roll. who knows. They didn't measure it. I didn't measure it.

We laid 30m of it - using the unsealed roll of Xm first and had 11m left.
Just to clarify , you opened the sealed 30m roll and used that and didn't have any thing left over and you have ONE PIECE 11metres long which one supposed to be 5metres

OP
R
Reaction score
Just to clarify , you opened the sealed 30m roll and used that and didn't have any thing left over and you have ONE PIECE 11metres long which one supposed to be 5metres

Nope.

Right, there is a sealed roll of 30m. An unsealed roll of some length probably 10m.

We used the unsealed roll first. We used all of it.

We opened the sealed 30m roll.

We finished up with 11m left of the 30m roll.

We laid 30sqm +/- a bit in total. So that means they must have supplied 30+11. 41sqm.

Therefore the unsealed roll must have been about 11m long.

Just chance that I have 11m left too.

They billed me for 35m so that's not so bad. I am down only ÂŁ50 of material not ÂŁ100.

If I can sell the 11m reamining for ÂŁ50 ish, I'll be square.

Just need to sell the tiles for ÂŁ25 a sq m....

D

Dumbo

Nope.

Right, there is a sealed roll of 30m. An unsealed roll of some length probably 10m.

We used the unsealed roll first. We used all of it.

We opened the sealed 30m roll.

We finished up with 11m left of the 30m roll.

We laid 30sqm +/- a bit in total. So that means they must have supplied 30+11. 41sqm.

Therefore the unsealed roll must have been about 11m long.

Just chance that I have 11m left too.

They billed me for 35m so that's not so bad. I am down only ÂŁ50 of material not ÂŁ100.

If I can sell the 11m reamining for ÂŁ50 ish, I'll be square.

Just need to sell the tiles for ÂŁ25 a sq m....
So what are the dimensions of your room

T

Time's Ran Out

At the end of the day it’s whats left that’s the issue!
You scored with the mat - they say they only charged for 35sq but unless you know how much per sq mt it was they could have charged you for all 41 sq mts and said 35 sq mts - but you can possibly sell the 5-6 mts left!
With the tiles - if you ordered 32 sq mts and saved in the setting out and have some left in full boxes - if I’am a small tile shop I don’t take them back because that’s my profit and my supplier won’t take them back. Mind you some will charge a restocking fee of 30%.
Because of all the reasons stated above my shop sign would say - we don’t accept returns unless materials are faulty.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I bet your regretting mentioning on here now though.

Reply to Returning unused tiles? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock