Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Removing Vynal tile glue in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. McLovin

McLovin “Isn’t ‘bribe’ just another word for ‘love’?”

Hi All

Got to a job this morning. Customer has taken up old vynal tiles.

The glue under them is sticky to the point I have never seen before. It had torn apart my knee pads and the soul or my work shoes (granted they are old).

Razor blades are not making a dent in it.

Any ideas anyone?

I have sent customers out to buy some

NO NONSENSE HEAVY DUTY DEGREASER 5LTR From screwfid and some
    TURTLE WAX TAR & GLUE REMOVER.

Any ideas anyone?

Sorry about the bold letters.

2. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

What's the floor like beneath? I would just over board the glue with something suitable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. McLovin

It's a solid floor.

I had not considered boarding over concrete. I never really considered it a good idea.

What would you recommend?

4. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

How thick is the glue? Is it black bitumen? If it's sticky but solid and not mega thick you can prime it with prime plus grip and tile

5. McLovin

Hi

No it's not black. It's an orange type of glue. Even after scraping it off it's too sticky to work on. It's an adhesion nightmare.

6. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

I think f ball do some sort of glue remover . Speak to your local flooring company .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

Thinking outside the box here, and it may at least allow you to work over sticky nightmare. Cover sticky mess with dry sand, ( the type you can buy for paving, with moisture removed).
    When stuck and glue is dry, remove excess/loose sand, then apply self levelling compound. Just a thought, may not be practical in the given situation. All the best anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. McLovin

I called bal and mapie and they can not recommend anything. The eco grip won't go over the glue unfortunately.

9. McLovin

I have called a few flooring companies. Most say scraper and elbow grease. It's a 50m2 floor so a lot of work which I don't think my back will take it :(

Bad start to the week.

10. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

It is indeed a sticky situation you find yourself in.
    Wish I could be of more help, let us know how the job progresses. Keep the chin up. :).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Localtiler

Localtiler Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Perhaps a large scraper and a blow torch might be the way If it's really that bad

• Like Like x 1
  12. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I'd caution against doing that incase it's a flammable adhesive!

• Like Like x 1
  13. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

its more than likely a multi purpose vinyl adhesive by the sounds of that and it is unlikely to be on too deep as it would have prevented the floor layer fitting the vinyl tiles properly in the first place. Use Ardex NA over it and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Have you tried expanding foam cleaner?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stephen Corbett

Stephen Corbett Stepping-stones

Try acetone in a very well ventilated area...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stephen Corbett

Stephen Corbett Stepping-stones

Should scrape up easily enough,

• Like Like x 1
  17. McLovin

HI All

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay.

Ardex NA is my method of choice but the customer does not have the money for it. Its about 55m2 first floor. Also the have not been able to take the skirting off (glued and screwed) even though this was agreed previously.

At the moment The customer and I used industrial gunk (I can't remember the name) paint and glue remover on the floor. God it stinks. Its been scraped to within an inch of its life. Looked like all the glue came off. Filled two B & Q orange buckets.

Went back this morning and floor is still sticky. No glue that can be scraped off on it but still sticky (cannot be walked or worked on). I have primed a section of it with mapei eco prim to see how it comes up. It has dried well and is much less sticky to the point It can be worked on but you can still feel a slight tackiness.

I have left it there for today.

Ardex NA is not an option even though I have pushed it.

Whats everyones thoughts now? Would you proceed with be happy with tiling over mapei eco prim even tho it is very slightly tacky? Am I being over cautious?

I never got to try acetone unfortunately.

Customer says they are happy to take the risk (they are genuine) but they all say that till it goes wrong.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

18. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Personally I would be happy to go onto that. I have had one similar in the past so I understand your concern

• Like Like x 1
  19. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

If you're worried and customer says they are happy to go against your advice send them an email to respond to saying that it is tiled at their liability

20. McLovin

Glad someone has come across this before. Its a new one to me. I feel happy enough with it but its good to hear someone say they have had the same circumstances as well. Thank you.

21. McLovin

I have it in writing and it has been signed. Never sure if that will hold up if it went to court but it is always good to have.

22. McLovin

In my haste to post yesterday I have only just noticed I spelt Vinyl incorrectly. I can not edit the title for some reason. Surprised no one pointed it out :D

My tiling is better than my spelling :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Tommythetiler80

Tommythetiler80 Active Member

I think someone else mentioned it but in the past I have and will always cover the floor with a dusting of cement/slc dust ,sweep it about the floor and then unfortunately it'll be elbow grease with a bladed scraper or the "big mutt" until I feel happy that I've got a good proportion of it up. Then prime the floor and scim over with whatever slc that I'm using at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  24. McLovin

Thanks for the reply mate. If it happens again I will use the dust method. SLC was not an option on this job. It left me with limited options unfortunately.

25. McLovin

I thought I would update this incase it helps someone else in the future.

I used mapei eco prim. Had to leave it on over night and applied two coats just to be safe. Dried fantastically well. Great surface to tile on and great product.

• Like Like x 1