Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing transit wax from tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
@Paul..... I recently tiled a hallway with Ledbury Slate Grey tiles from W&F and i can't for the life of me get rid of the transit wax from them, i've used the trusty glass scraper and even that doesn't get rid of it, there is still a shine on the matt finish where it was in certain lights. You had any issues with this on these tiles with your time at W&F?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tile Shop

That definitely warrants a new thread if a mod can transfer it over? There is an explaination and a fix that could be useful for many different tiles.

T

Tile Shop

The Ledbury tile although smooth, has a micro-texture that gives it slip resistance. Downside is that the packing wax gets a good grip of it. Another thing that doesn't help is that sometimes during manufacure and packaging, the wax is applied before the tiles have sufficiently cooled, baking it onto the surface making it an arse to remove.

The wax used is silicone based so the best solution to remove the bulk is a scraper, as you have done. But it can still leave a residue. We've found that if you use a silicone based aerosol sealer, like Sealguard or the LTP Grout & Tile Protector, the silicone in that will re-activate the wax to some extent. So spray, scrub with a white or black emulsifying pad, and wipe clean with a microfibre cloth. Should be gone.

The first time i tested it was at a customers house. Much worse than the Ledbury tile, but scraped and cleaned 25 sqm in about an hour n'arf.

Factory won't do anything about it as they say the tile isn't faulty, but..... Time is still money.

Its something the customer should be able to do. Happy to supply all the stuff they need FOC. Did you buy the tiles or your customer?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tony_C

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @Paul C. What you have described is exactly the situation i am in, fortunately there was no rush for me to resolve it as i will be back to do another couple bathrooms/kitchen when they are ready and i didnt want to rush trying to get it off with fear of damaging the finish but the wax is still on every tile. I actually bought all materials inc tiles through my trade account for the job. I'll be happy to go resolve it if that is possible for you to hook me up :D

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

just throw some dry powder grout on the surface then polish off with a dry cloth the dry dust of the grout will bind with the wax and remove
in seconds .

many make the mistake of trying to remove wax with water
about as much use as an ash tray on a motor bike

T

Tile Shop

I was curious about this so just been down to give it a go. Wide joint grout took some of it off but was hard work. fine grout didn't do so good. The protector sprays though, with a white pad, quick as you're gonna get.

I've used the grouting method on other types of marks and staining, and a lot of the time, it works very well. Surface rust marks are one example, packing oil/grease you get on polished porcelain is another. But on this wax, its well stuck and not so easy sorry to say.

U

Unused Account 1

I just did a splash back ,first one this year ,brick tiles same prob ,took 30 seconds each tile to scrape wax off ,done,time consuming

B

bylynette

Use a heat gun - which works but can leave a grease spot- or ice pack. Flakes off with your finger then. But still a pain.

Reply to Removing transit wax from tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock