Discuss Removing paint from plasterboard before tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I cannot find a decent/fully applicable answer to this anywhere! Please help!

Substrate is painted plaster board. It was painted 2 years or so ago by the house builders, trade white, so is all very sound.

Tiles are 300x600 so I’m not happy with just scoring the paint to get a key. (Done this with metro tiles for splash backs etc in the past cos smaller tile).

I don’t think I can remove the plaster board because the whole wall isn’t being done and it seems a bit extreme. So I believe my only option is to remove the paint.

What’s the quickest / least messy way to do this ?? I’ve not really quoted much time for stripping the paint ☹️

Steamer and scraper?
Orbital Sander? If so what grit
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Cstiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Best way is to buy cheap tubbed adhesive
Spread on the wall leave it 15/20 mins ,
Then scrap off,it will bring all the paint with it .
Slightly messy but if you scrape into a bucket or tub it's the best way.

T

Tile Shop

Tried that for the first time before xmas, on a plaster wall. Worked a treat and something very therapeutic about doing it. Very satisfying indeed.......... or is it just me? :)

O

On one

Unfortunately ready mixed adhesive will not work on a drylined ie plasterboarded wall(it will work on a plastered wall),it will just dampen and damage the paper faced plasterboard before releasing the paint.
PVA-ing the wall and then skimming it with finish plaster would be my option

Reaction score
The plasterboard wall was skimmed then painted by the builders (sorry if that wasn’t clear). So would the method work in this instance because there is already a skim over the board

O

One Day

I take full credit for inventing the tubbed adhesive method - thank you very much!
But...
Recently found that warm water and a sponge will often work even better. Just make sure you have a good 5" jumbo scraper and fresh blades.

Reply to Removing paint from plasterboard before tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks