Discuss Removing emulsion before tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tommcd

Hi folks,
I'm about to tile a kitchen in a new build. It's about 6 months old so has that magnolia emulsion all over the place. I've given quite a low estimate so really need to finish it in one day. Was wondering what is the quickest way to remove relatively fresh emulsion?

I'm sure with it being that trade stuff it will probably just rub off with a damp cloth, but then would I have to wait for it to dry before Sbr-ing?
Cheers

R

Rookery

You'd probably ok with a light sanding/keying or a rub down with a damp sponge. Depending on the job, I might even be tempted to use a good ready mixed like white star. No priming needed.

F

Flintstone

You can’t use a ready mixed over paint, the moisture will bring the paint off. You can use ready mixed adhesive to do just that, spread it in, leave it 15 mins then scrape it off and it will remove the paint for you. In this instance I would prime wet a small area a few times, let it soak in and see if it comes off with a scraper, if it does then that’s your answer. If it doesn’t well, you make a decision what to do. Personally I’m happy to tile a splashback to Well adhered paint, using a cement based adhesive.

T

Tommcd

Cheers both, I'll use a rapid set cement based adhesive as ideally I'd like to grout by the evening. If I see what comes off with a rag, then rough up the surface then prime does that sound like a good plan?

R

Rookery

You can’t use a ready mixed over paint, the moisture will bring the paint off. You can use ready mixed adhesive to do just that, spread it in, leave it 15 mins then scrape it off and it will remove the paint for you. In this instance I would prime wet a small area a few times, let it soak in and see if it comes off with a scraper, if it does then that’s your answer. If it doesn’t well, you make a decision what to do. Personally I’m happy to tile a splashback to Well adhered paint, using a cement based adhesive.
I didn't say you could. I'd already proposed to remove the paint first.

J

Just Rizzle

on new plastered walls a trick i use is sbr 1/1 paint on leave 5 mins to soak in then with good scraper scrape off

H

Handyeire

You can’t use a ready mixed over paint, the moisture will bring the paint off.

My nephew tiled his mothers kitchen and bathroom with readymix over painted walls 15 years ago and the tiles are still on the wall to this day.

I also tiled my large floor with ready mix without priming 18years ago and not one tile has came loose. Ive been meaning to upgrade in the last few years but just cant get the time however, come Jan, ill let yous know how tough or easy they came up.

Not everything is set in stone!

O

One Day

My nephew tiled his mothers kitchen and bathroom with readymix over painted walls 15 years ago and the tiles are still on the wall to this day.

I also tiled my large floor with ready mix without priming 18years ago and not one tile has came loose. Ive been meaning to upgrade in the last few years but just cant get the time however, come Jan, ill let yous know how tough or easy they came up.

Not everything is set in stone!

... And many things are set in stone! If you tile onto paint, it doesn't matter what adhesive you use, you are hanging tiles which are bonded SOLELY using the strength of the paint.
If the paint is eggshell, or particularly well applied emulsion i.e mist coat and several layers, then just maybe it'll be bonded well.
For the time it takes to remove emulsion paint though, I personally think it's 100% stupid to tile onto emulsion paint.
As for priming concrete floors, I agree it's not necessary but it helps.

O

One Day

Ready mix on floors? That's a different debate. My own bathroom floor has 4" travertine on 18mm ply overlay, stuck with BAL white star. Been down over 10yrs and still OK.
I wouldn't do it on a paid job though!

H

Handyeire

... And many things are set in stone! If you tile onto paint, it doesn't matter what adhesive you use, you are hanging tiles which are bonded SOLELY using the strength of the paint.
If the paint is eggshell, or particularly well applied emulsion i.e mist coat and several layers, then just maybe it'll be bonded well.
For the time it takes to remove emulsion paint though, I personally think it's 100% stupid to tile onto emulsion paint.
As for priming concrete floors, I agree it's not necessary but it helps.

I know and if im doing any jobs, ill scratch the walls quite alot and scrape as much paint of as possible but all i can say is that my nephew tiled a kitchen and a bathroom all them years ago onto painted walls and the tiles are still on the wall to this day. Infact, he also did another few small jobs onto painted walls and never once did a tile fall off.

Reply to Removing emulsion before tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks