Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Removing dry grout from porcelain tile surface in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all

We bought our house about a year ago and this job has been looming for some time. We have floor to ceiling white porcelain tiles with a slightly uneven surface. I think whoever put these on hailed from deadwood and it looks like they never even tried to clean the excess grout off. I have just tried to scrape the surface with a stanley blade holder scraper type thing, (gotta love the description :) ) but the uneven surface makes it a nightmare.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to get this off?

Thanks in advance

Terry

OP
G

gonk31

could try fila extra strong residue remover from topps, but as the grout has been on so long wouldn`t be 101% sure

OP
B

basshunter

you need an emulsifying pad.with above mentioned product,plenty of clean water to rinse and elbow grease.

have fun

OP
B

basshunter

come on terry you must have enough practice with that arm?:yes:

hows it going?

OP
P

pjtiler

brick cleaner from any builders merchents
paint it on leave it an hour than wash off with a green pad

OP
U

Unregistered

Well i had the same problem unitll yesterday, after days off trwling the internet, no luck,and being a woman i just would not give up, so got my thinking brain switched on, i tried Swarfega Paint & Sealer tough wipes,...Hey presto !
no hard work , came off a treat, no residue left.. perfect!!! no elbow grease, not expence, you can get them from B&Q, and also Srewfix. they are ÂŁ3.00 cheaper in Screwfix.

OP
P

paulgalindo

remove most stains even dry grout with clear vinegar dillute it down let it set and wipe clean may need to use an abrassive pad mostly likely a white pad 3m is the best and these pads rule you can buy them on line or at an automotive paint supplier if your grout is white perfect no problems colored grout will get lighter, so thats white vinegar the kind you cook with it also cleans your tools and grout haze off your hands with no effort 22 years experience trust me once its off use clean water to break it down and wa la. old pro trick I usually it to clean haze from my hands, dont teach you that in time served class. paul galindo. as for the lippage sorry poor installer unless its stone it can be done the tool costs around 1000 pounds. and requires the whole area to be honed again.

OP
C

Colour Republic

remove most stains even dry grout with clear vinegar dillute it down let it set and wipe clean may need to use an abrassive pad mostly likely a white pad 3m is the best and these pads rule you can buy them on line or at an automotive paint supplier if your grout is white perfect no problems colored grout will get lighter, so thats white vinegar the kind you cook with it also cleans your tools and grout haze off your hands with no effort 22 years experience trust me once its off use clean water to break it down and wa la. old pro trick I usually it to clean haze from my hands, dont teach you that in time served class. paul galindo. as for the lippage sorry poor installer unless its stone it can be done the tool costs around 1000 pounds. and requires the whole area to be honed again.

I think he means it's a bumpy white tile not lippage but I could be wrong?

Reaction score
I had the same problem not so long ago, firstly i tried fila ex strong residue remover, but that just seemed to make the problem worst, as it took ages for it to work and sent the black grout white. Then i spoke to the rep at LTP, and he told me to use LTP grout stain remover and lightly scrub with a white emulsiifing pad, and hey presto clean tiles and black grout again, and it really does work :thumbsup:

OP
D

doug boardley

I think poster may have sorted it by now, this thread is over a year old:lol::lol::lol:

OP
U

Unregistered

Hi All
Please can someone advise me as to the best way to remove dry grout from tiles?. I have read like a million different 'solutions' on the internet but came accross this forum and suspect you guys will know best.
Any help appreciated.

OP
T

timthetiler

You can get a grout film removal product (HG, Lithofin, and Topps all do one). A scouring pad will help too. Good luck!

Reply to Removing dry grout from porcelain tile surface in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock